is it true i need another at&t sim to do upgrade swap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unlimitedx, Sep 21, 2012.

1. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

because that's what the at&t rep said on the phone? there's no way to activate it on another line with another nano sim?

2. smash1031 macrumors member

You'll need another nano sim to complete an upgrade swap.

3. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks.. i had the impression that they could do it over the phone :(

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I did this today, and I had to go get a nano sim from AT&T. They have a bunch in stores.

Others were reporting you could do it on the phone.

I tried calling first, and the rep took my info and input it into her computer. Then told me to turn on the device and started walking me through the activation. However, we finally got to a screen that said 555-555-5555 (my actual phone number though). "If this is not your number, you need to contact Apple."

At that point, the AT&T rep was confused and instructed me to go get a new SIM.

You might be able to go past that screen and get it to work with a tele rep, but I wasn't so lucky.

I pre-ordered from Apple.com

5. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

Not that I'm happy this happen to you but I'm happy cause now I now I'm not the only one with this problem!

So I guess I will have to wait one more day to use my baby!

6. ctc799 macrumors member

I did an upgrade swap completely over the phone through AT&T support. I told them the IMEI I wanted to use from my apple.com preorder and the representative switched it over with no problems whatsoever.

I had the same issue as CosmoPilot did where it showed the old number, but I just kept going and the number transferred once I activated the network.

7. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Please beware;

After following all the necessary precautions the rep I spoke with STILL managed to deactivate the SIM of the person who had their upgrade stolen (kidding).

My 4S was deactivated and I'm using my 5 BUT I have to go get a SIM tomorrow now to fix this mess. :mad:

8. emaja macrumors 68000

I did an upgrade swap today and while at the AT&T store I chatted the guy up about the process. He said that the SIM is already tied to the phone number that was upgraded and that because of this, a new SIM was needed.

We activated the new phone on the line that it was ordered for then swapped the SIM.

No problems though as they have a ton of them in the store. Click click click and I was out the door with a working iPhone.

9. bova80 macrumors 6502a

Bunch of idiots. All you had to do was not turn the phone on, call AT&T tell them the imei and sim number and then they'd activate it. If you turn on the phone before doing that you're screwed.

10. asouclks macrumors member

I must have got a knowledgable rep then. I did the complete activation over the phone without having an extra sim.

1. Called 611 and entered number of line that got the upgrade. The system knew I had just recently purchased an upgrade.
    2. System will ask you if you what to upgrade this number press 1 or activate and a different number press 2. I pressed 2.
    3. Rep asked for IMEI number and sim card number from new iPhone 5. Have a paper clip handy.
    4. I actually had to give rep a call back number since phone I was on would be deactivated. Used home phone.
    5. When rep says ok try to activate. Power off old phone and back on to be sure you get no service. Shows swap was done.
    6. Powered on phone and go through the activation steps on the phone. The phone will have the wrong number but that's ok since the AT&T system has the right info.
    7. If you don't get service right away power off new phone and back on.

No new sim card needed.

Hmm. That seems more complicated when it's written out.

11. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Here is the longer thread that explais the correct way to do an upgrade swap.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1447995

The rep had bad information or fried your Nano-SIM by not properly following the process. First I would suggest you try Customer Care again before you go and get another Naon-SIM.

Dave

12. iphoneguy4life macrumors newbie

You will need a new sim and the person who has the upgrade you are using will need a new sim also. The equipment is considered "parked" when preordered so it has to be activated first with the nano sim already in it.

I had to do this many times today for customers and fight with at&t pos because it was so jam packed with ppl on it. Very frustrating...

13. 96whitels macrumors member

96whitels

THIS! I did the same thing today. Took ~10 minutes

Don't listen to anyone else. Lots I false info floating around.

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Last year my wifes upgrade swap took just 15 minutes on the phone. This year it went faster. All OVER THE PHONE.

You DO NOT Need to go to the store.

We live in the age of automation. Not in the stone age :)

15. bova80 macrumors 6502a

You couldn't be more wrong. Why are so many people able to do it over the phone then? Mine was ordered from apple and I did the swap over the phone.

16. boon209 macrumors member

TLDR;

I did mine at the store just fine. Told the rep that I wanted to upgrade my wife line but swap my number over to the 5. All he did was just swap in a new nano sim. All done.

17. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

can apple do the phone swap or need to call at&t? i'd rather work with apple cs than at&t cs..

18. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

NO Apple Customer Care can not help you activate or Upgrade Swap.

Reference this thread, read the first post and follow the lastest instructions when you Call AT&T Customer Care.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1447995

Dave

19. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I did but I kept getting service in the old phone, there seems to be a problem with some sim cards and att's system is not recognizing them!

20. HighTopFade macrumors regular

HighTopFade

Seems like the phone rep and I did everything right. Mine couldn't get activated and I'll need a new SIM.

21. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks