is it true if i hook up my printer to Airport Express USB it wont scan?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by animatedude, Nov 25, 2010.

1. animatedude macrumors 65816

that's crazy!!!

i hooked my all in one 6500 HP wireless to the USB of Airport Express..printing works fine but not scanning...wtf?!

i googled the issue and read many ppl saying the scanning part of any printer will not work if you hook up your printer to the USB of the Airport Express and it's better that i get an Airport Extreme and hook it up through the Ethernet!

is this true?!

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I can only tell u how mine works; not sure about ur set up. Anyway my Epson hooks up to my airport wirelessly and i can print/scan from both the macs in my house. Did u try to do it that way?

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...wirelessly, my Brother AIO 7840w works great also for printing/scanning to all my winXP, 7 and macs...

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

The OP did not ask about connecting wirelessly, but through the USB port.

No, it will not work. The USB print server on all AirPort Base Stations is for printing only. Multifunction printers will only work for printing.

If you want to connect it to scan, you will need a WiFi enabled USB multifunction print server. But for the cost of one of those, you'd be better off purchasing a WiFi enabled multifunction printer instead. You could also purchase an AirPort Extreme and connect via Ethernet if your printer is capable, but that would be the most expensive option I would assume.

5. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

mine is the 6500 wireless HP all in one...what if i unplugged the USB printer and let the printer connect wirelessly the Airport Express network...would that work?

6. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's how mine is connected and printing/scanning work fine.

7. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

can you please share your settings please because i can't get the printer to recognize the airport express network..should i do it from the printers&fax settings or from the HP settings or from Airport settings?

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I believe it should be from your HP settings.

On my Brother 7840w, I enter the control panel and ask it to join the network and enter my WPA2 key password on the control panel.

9. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

10. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

can you explain your network or airport express settings please?