Is it true that the keyboards have a different feel MBA to MBPr?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zipur, Nov 1, 2013.

1. zipur macrumors 6502

I read somewhere that the keyboard "Feel" is different from the MBPc - MBPr and the MBA. Is that true?
    Also how about the wireless keyboards, the the apple wired keyboard. Do they all have different "Feel" ? Very interesting if they are.

2. Animalk macrumors 6502

Actually I've noticed difference in keyboard feel between identical machines. Some are crisper and have slightly more key travel. Others are squishy with less key travel.

3. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

There absolutely is between the cMBP and rMBP - don't let anyone tell you different.

The c has more travel and soft keys while the rMBP has less travel and harsh keys. Same for the trackpad "click" - the r has a more harsh metal sounding "CLICK" while the c has a more muted soft "click".

This (in my opinion) is due to the thinner body on the r compared to the c, there is less space inside to deaden the sound of the click and less size (it's thin) for travel in the keys.

4. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

As far as feel/texture I say it depends on age of the macbook. I was working on an 11" air and my rMBP 15 yesterday. Both FELT the same but size is def noticeable.

5. cs02rm0 macrumors member

I found my 2010 MBA very much like the wired keyboard. 2013 MBP seems to have a little more travel and a slightly more squishy feel, less of a click. But the difference is subtle, I'd be surprised if someone who didn't touch type would notice.

6. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

compared my Air to my rMBP.. and yes there is a difference. my Air has a slightly more concave keys and a bit more travel than the rMBP i have.. i really prefer the Air's keyboard more. but then again.. keys travel and how stiff or soft a keyboard is varies even within the same model.

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I went from cMBP->MBA->rMBP and I completely agree with what you wrote. My experience has been the same. One thing I'll add though is after using the keyboard for a while it became more comfortable than the same model when new (I noticed this with the MBA when I was helping a friend set one up a few months after I got mine).

8. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

comfortable how so? did the travel change? or the stiffness of the key press?

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

For me the keys became a little quieter and less stiff after a while (it's not like they're super stiff when new, but it is a little better). Travel seemed relatively the same to me.

10. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I've used a 2009 White MacBook, a mid-2010 15" MBP and a mid-2012 15" rMBP. In my opinion, the White MacBook and cMBP keyboards were almost the same. After being worn out a bit, both keyboards become soft and nice to use. As for the rMBP, as said above, the key travel is much shorter. The feedback is better defined, but the overall experience just isn't as good as that on the cMBP, especially if you're used to touch typing relying on feedback.

The best keyboard, however, is on the Apple Wireless Keyboard. It has a long key travel like the cMBP and the best mechanical keyboard-like feedback.

Regards
    Abhinav

UPDATE: To stay on topic, I have, on various occasions, used MBAs (all the way from the original 2008 model to the 2012 model). The keyboard isn't much different than the one on rMBPs. Key stroke is similar. Feedback is a bit lighter, though.

11. Collider macrumors regular

I find that as well. I also have the Air and the rMBP, and the Air's keyboard feels so much more comfortable. Which is kind of a shame because it means I tend to favour it when I'm doing long-haul typing, which is kind of what I got the retina screen for in the first place... but yea, there's definitely a difference, and it's very noticeable if you're typing for extended periods of time.

12. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Strange...i have an 2011 air and a late 2013 15" rMBP and they feel nearly identical.....

13. j99 macrumors newbie

I am struggling with the same issue. In the past week I got a 15 inch MBP and my wife got a MBA. The MBP has squishy keys with poor feedback and I find myself much more error prone. There is a lot of uncertainty in the feedback. The MBA has a more audible click and better travel.

I have 3 more days to take back my MBP--I need the screen size, so I can't switch to the air. But has anyone had success switching out for the same model and lucking into a better keyboard?