Is it True White Macbook only supports 3GB of Ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by waynechriss, Oct 28, 2009.

1. waynechriss macrumors regular

I wanted to upgrade my Ram on my macbook by buying it from OWC or Crucial but i am hearing stories from a lot of mac users who are saying the white macbook only recognizes 3GB of ram even though you fit it with 4GB of ram (2x 2GB ram sticks). Is that true or does that happen to certain models? I got the summer 09 white macbook.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Since at least the November 2007 version of the white MacBooks those machines can handle up to 4GB of RAM, some even 6GB unofficially.

What you refer to were the first Core 2 Duo models, which could only handle 3GB of RAM unofficially.

So you can instal 4 GB of RAM on your 2009 MB.

3. waynechriss thread starter macrumors regular

Ooooh cool thanks. That clears up a lot of confusion. Will my warranty be voided if i install the ram myself?

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

No as long as don't damage anything in the process. Also, if the RAM itself goes bad, it would be warranted by the third party and not Apple.

5. model citizen macrumors member

This may be a stupid question but how can I tell whether my Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook is early or late 2007?

I bought it second-hand and was never told...

It's got a 2.16Ghz processor and a 120GB hard drive. The bus speed is 667MHZ and in the model identifier it says 'Macbook 2,1'

There's currently 2GB RAM installed but ideally I would like to upgrade it to 3 or 4GB as I use it for audio stuff.

6. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

You have the early 2007 model; it can support 3GB RAM unofficially, 2GB officially.

7. Mj2sL macrumors newbie

You mention audio stuff, what exactly do you mean? I ask, because most audio related stuff doesn't require tons of RAM. One exception would be working with samples (especially larger samples, for instance sampled orchestras). But if you're DJ-ing, mixing, recording guitar or that kind of stuff, I think you'll be fine with 2GB.

8. model citizen macrumors member

Soft-synths and recording guitars mainly, not many tracks or effects. I'm not too into loops and keep it pretty simple - until recently I used a 1.3GHz Dell for music.

I haven't had any issues with speed yet but I'm new to Macs and I'm buying a secondhand copy of Logic Express 8 - thought it might struggle a little with that.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It can do 3.3 gigs of ram. You may as well get 4 gigs of ram and keep full dual channel capacity on all of it; ddr2 ram is cheap.

10. Mj2sL macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure 2GB will do the job fine. Just give it a shot, you could always add RAM later.

11. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

I was quoting MacTracker, at the time of posting I was too tired to consult my own memory of the MacBook line. 3GB is the figure that it gets rounded down to. I think it might have had something to do with it actually being a limit to a bizarre number of actual bytes that leaves you with the 3.3GB limit but again, I'm too tired and the coffee pot is empty. :eek:

To the OP yeah for your usage I reckon 2GB should be fine for running Logic. Limit the number of tracks though; Logic is a "Pro App" and was designed primarily for Pro machines. It'll run quite well on your MacBook but if you decide that you need eleventy-three audio tracks running simultaneously it'll punish you with the beachball of doom.

12. rat103070 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook 2,1 that I bought in Dec 2006. I upgraded it with 2 x 2GB memory, assuming I would only get the 3.2GB usable. However, system profiler reports that there are in fact 4GB present. Is there something up with my system?

13. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

the early 2009 model (5,2) can support up to 6gb, I just got off the phone with OWC because the 4gb kit I bought had a faulty stick....