Is it uncool to obviously enjoy your iPod's music in public?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

On the train home last night, there was a young metally-looking dude listening to his iPod and with his eyes closed, he was playing air-drums along with what he was listening to... doing fills and all sorts of crazy patterns... and he was enjoying himself immensely, harming no-one.

Some people in the carriage were looking at him like he was demented, I couldn't keep a smile off my face while being slightly embarrassed. :eek:

I've also been known to have a little boogie in the supermarket, before catching myself and behaving like a grown-up. :p

What, in your view, is permissable in public? A little bit of head-nodding or pretending you're in an iTunes commercial? :D

2. bartelby macrumors Core

As long as people don't sing out loud I don't care what they do.

3. dcv macrumors G3

I can't say I've ever caught myself in that situation but I have noticed others getting a little carried away with their music on the Tube. I just giggle at them, it's nice to be enthusiastic/passionate about something :)

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think it's all permissible to do in public. what bothers me, though, was walking around campus a couple years back. people would walk by and not talk to anybody, because they're all listening to their ipods. and everyone has one. what happened to the good old days when people entertained themselves by keeping good company?

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Actually, slightly off-topic, I've definitely noticed a correlation between being stopped to ask for directions and wearing my iPod... meaning I have to pull the headphones out to talk to them.

Either:

A) People do it to me to piss me off or...

B) Perhaps when I'm making my way about through London and listening to music, I carry myself like I know exactly where I'm going, leading people to believe that I'm a walking streetmap.

It's a mystery.

6. dcv macrumors G3

7. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

But it doesn't look like an iPod, 'cos it's always in my bag and I use Shure headphones which have grey cables... it's usually tourists too, the backpacked kind carrying A-Zs. Weird.

8. dcv macrumors G3

In that case it's B, you look street-savvy.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Slightly off topic again but does anyone remember the parties on the Circle Line,it seemed a brilliant idea to me although I never got it together to go.I think any sort of behaviour on the tube that hauls people out of their torpor and starts interaction is great.I'm not in London at the moment but feel a little nostalgic for all the great things that go on,street skating,critical mass,beach parties on the Thames.If you stop to listen to someones music in Brixton there's a good chance it'll turn into a music festival if you wait a bit.:D

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've been known to dance in the front or back of a plane (I can't stay seated for a whole flight) with my iPod; in my car with stereo blaring and singing at the top of my lungs (windows closed, I do have some class) or as I walk around with my iPod. Others may give me looks, I couldn't care less.

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I think there's a big grey area, I often catch myself moving in step to what i'm listening to but it's not that obvious, if I saw anyone else seriously overdoing it I'll naught but have a chuckle though I realise some may find it annoying...

12. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Agreed!

Sure, he may look silly, but if he's into it, more power to him. I tend to be a little more reserved in public, but that doesn't mean that everyone else has to.

13. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I agree. Once I have to listen to what they're listening to (either because they are singing or the volume is up way too loud) then it definitely becomes uncool and annoying. But a free viewing of air drums is always appreciated (even beats out air guitar I think).

14. applehero macrumors 6502

Would much rather be entertained (or annoyed) by people playing "air" instruments and dancing than be scared of getting shot, stabbed, or mugged. As far as I'm concerned, it's a healthy outlet to release pent up energy, go for it. (I agree with the no singing in public, unless you have a record contract)

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

no harm, no foul.

Music should affect your spirit. If you don't get a little boogie in ya from time to time, you should probably try listening to something new.:p

I am always jamming to music while I drive. My steering wheel says Toyota and Tama right on it.:confused: :p

16. noaccess macrumors 6502

I just don't get people who have anything against expressing yourself while listening to music...

Just last week I was sitting on a bench in the city center, listening to a song on my Shuffle and moving my lips to the lyrics, when this guy on a bike, 60 yrs. old, comes by and makes a sign basically telling me I'm stupid. WTF?

I just laughed it off, people can be ignorant and frankly, dumb.

Apart from that, as long as you don't have loudspeakers connected to your iPod, and aren't so happy as to just go to the nearest person, even if it's an 80 year old lady or someone injured, yank the walking stick out of their hand and start dancing, you're okay in my book.

And if you must sing or turn the volume up loud, asking the person next to you if it's okay never hurt anyone. :)

17. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

It's cool, I just dislike everyone who thinks they're a professional rapper and therefore think they are putting on an entertaining show for the entire train, but are not at all.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Oops :eek:

Singing out loud whilst walking along the street....is bad? Oh dear. At least on transport it's more just tapping my foot, although sometimes my fingers do a little sneaky air guitar if it's a song I can play. Only if nobody's looking mind :)

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes. YES! And... yes. :eek:

I agree, I've no issue w/ folks who are actively enjoying their music as long as their potentially flailing limbs don't get in anyone's way or hurt anyone and yeah, I'd prefer the non-singing aloud sort.

I really truly believe that people should feel their music. I can't even begin to comprehend how someone can claim that a song is their favorite and proceed to listen to it without so much as a blink. :confused:

And yes... I think I get odd looks 'cause I full out sit-dance when I'm driving. :eek: Can't help it. :eek:

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm unashamed to get down when I needs to get down. ;) I occasionally dance at intersections while waiting for the light to change. :D But only occasionally.

21. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

No probs from me with people expressing themselves while listening to music on headphones, including:

Playing 'air instruments'
    Walking in time with music
    Nodding head back and forth
    Grooving sholders in time with music
    Shaking ass while walking
    Taping fingers on the hand rail on the train

But, keep in mind - if you can't dance when everyone can hear the music (club/bar/etc) then you still can't dance if no one else can hear the music either

22. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I'm of this age group and definitely interact with my iPod. That is the whole reason for owning it. :cool:

23. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I have no problems with people doing whatever as long as they aren't hurting anyone or singing out loud. I've been known to do a little head-bopping, booty-shaking while I'm in public. I've also mouthed the words, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Sometimes you just gotta let the music move you. :D

24. CortexRock macrumors 6502

I was lucky enough to be on a train here in Kent (UK), when a girl listening to her iPod was singing out loud. It was some kind of choral/cathedral music, not usually my thing, but she had a stunning voice.

Just stood there with her eyes closed, not a care in the world, singing away on a packed commuter train.

Odd, but kind of cool at the same time!

25. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I'm one who belts it out right along with the music when I'm driving down the road.

Do I get looks? Yup
    Do I care? Not at all.

Me and whatever band I'm listening to enjoy ourselves entirely too much to care what others think. Now at school I've caught myself singing out loud and felt quite embarrassed. I guess it's different when I'm surrounded by a metal and glass cage...