Is it Worth an Extra 15 Bucks a Month for Grandfathered Unlimited Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Oct 16, 2012.

?

Should I accept my friend's offer?

1. Yes, the extra cost monthly is worth it since Verizon has better network!

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No, Tmobile is refarming, wait and just get the IP5 on tmobile

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

I am currently with Tmobile on an older plan, I get unlim data, text, and more than enough minutes for 55 bucks, which is cheaper than the unlimited plan. A friend offers me their verizon unlimited plan as he is leaving the US, which sounds great, but it is 15 bucks higher than my current plan on tmobile. Should I accept? Is 15 bucks higher than my current tmobile plan worth switching to an individual plan on verizon.

I know tmobile is refarming, but I have no idea if they will get to my area by the end of the year, Verizon is more established and has LTE already. Is it worth waiting to see if Tmobiel improves, or is it bbetter to just switch over to Verizon and accept his offer?

Such a tough struggle to decide whetehr it is worth paying more for the Big Red on a plan that no longer is avaialble.

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just remember you will not get any subsidized upgrades if you choose to get the Verizon unlimited data plan.

If you use only 1-2GB a month, than the answer is clearly no.

The subsidy you are giving up is $400 every 20 months.

That means every month instead of using 2GB/$30 a month.

You would need to use any extra 40GB of data over 20 months. 40GB data x $10 extra per GB equals $400 subsidy.

So if you averaged more than 4GB data each month than it may be worth getting the unlimited data plan.

3. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Better question is... how is coverage for T-Mobile vs Verizon for where you are, work, etc.

Coverage is #1 importance, otherwise you pay for "No Service".

@aneftp, regarding subsidized upgrades, whether on VZ grandfathered unlimited or T-Mobile, he'll have to pay full price for iPhone 5.

When I switched to iPhone 5, I bought an AT&T and VZ one, tested which had overall better coverage for me. (Granted not everyone would probably do that)

4. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I know uk plans seem different / cheaper

But I'm on an old unlimited plan and I couldn't be without it. I stream iTunes Match all the time, watch Netflix on the go and listen to Internet radio.

If its a better network ie better coverage I would definately consider it. $15 extra is a lot tho. I know it doesn't help but unlimited data plans with minutes and texts can be had for just $16 here (uk) - although the one I'm on is about $30

5. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

extra $15. Are you serious, unlimited saves me $330. a month in data charges.

6. iAi macrumors 6502

T-Mobile and Sprint will get better!

Am starting to believe ... am gonna wait. Don't give more money to V & A!

7. darster Suspended

The prices will come down over the next few years. When all the major providers have widespread LTE, it no longer becomes a selling point. The providers will then have to come up with ideas to keep their customers.

8. vistadude macrumors 65816

Yeah but that didn't really happen with 3G. When 4G is widespread, 5G networks will be starting to build and prices still won't come down.

9. nololono macrumors newbie

Get it!

I bought someone's unlimited plan off Ebay for over $200! Get the plan off him and then sell it if you don't use it. I love mine.

10. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68020

Starfyre

The Verizon Unlimited plan is not only 15 bucks higher, but also has no unlimited texts (250 a month for 5 bucks), no hotspot (which my current tmobile plan has), and voice is limited, like my current tmobile one so it does not really matter.

So essentially I would be getting less, but paying more. However the coverage for Verizon is in fact better, and LTE and 4G exists, as oppose to Tmobile where its all on EDGE/2G where I am at, and they claim to be refarming for 3G, which I can live with, but no LTE until next year throughout 2015.

So if coverage was #1, Verizon definitely scores number 1 in my area. Tmobile is not bad too, but for the iPhone specifically, its hello 2G, until more 3G refarms pop up.

11. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Originally thought Tmobile would refarm the entire spectrum to 1900Mhz, apparently it is only the 25 major cities that would be complete by the end of the year to set up for LTE, which would be for those same towers... my area is not in those 25 cities. :( How long must I wait...

12. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Does anyone know whether Tmobiles 3G would be faster than Verizon or ATT 3G because they refarmed late? Or is Tmobile using the same tech in ATT lte and 3G so the speeds would be comparable?

13. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Some other forums have reported T-mobiles 3G refarm with speeds of up to 12 MBs down. Some higher, but don't expect it. Here in Houston I've done my fair share of Speedtests on the areas that I can get 3G, and I've been averaging at around between 3-7 MBs down. Sometimes even higher, but it's rare. Meaning that once the refarming is complete, T-Mobile will be great to have on an iPhone.

However, if your friend is offering you a Verizon account with Unlimited Data, I'd jump on it in an instant mainly because of that unlimited data. With Verizon, you'll have more coverage like you stated, and you'll unfortunately pay more for the same stuff you're getting on T-Mobile, and so this will only look like it's worth it for the Unlimited Data alone, if you area has LTE.

Now, look at it this way. You can always come back to T-Mobile if you feel like Verizon wasn't worth it. Just remember that you won't be able to get on Verizon with an unlimited data plan, on LTE if your area is supported. :)