Is it worth buying a used iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dedee, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Dedee macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a used iPhone 4 GSM for about 330 $ on amazon (couldn't find any cheaper ones). Right now I have a LG P500 and I mainly want an iPhone, because it has no bugs and is compatible with pretty much all apps. But I have a question:

Would you suggest me to buy this iPhone right now or should I wait (I'm going to take this phone back to germany and in germany a used iPhone 4 would be at least 430 $ right now)? Also, if I buy the iPhone 4 right now, do you think I could use it comfortably (games, apps, overall IOS experience) for 3-4 years from now?

Thanks in advance

2. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

It's only worth buying if you really need it. I'd personally wait for the next one.

The 4 will last you 3-4 years easily, but 2 years from now, you'll wish you waited for the 5. The single-core processor of the 4 will get annoying pretty quick.

3. dickdaney macrumors regular

You can by the 4 now. If the 5 is really the new hotness, you should still be able to get it under contract at the subsidized price. Then you can sell the 4 for ~$150 and you're good to go. 3gs's are still going for $150 on eBay right now.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So you are in the US right now? If you are taking this ti Germany, you are going to need it to be unlocked. I am far removed from the unlock scene since I just buy unlocked now, but I am not sure there is an unlocked for the 4 if it's on the latest firmware and radio. Something to consider.

5. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

I think it's worth it. I'd also try Craigslist. I got mine on there for $250 and after selling some items I had on the site, I paid 60 bucks outta my pocket for a black, 16GB iPhone 4.

6. Dedee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the awnsers. Well the thing is, that I indeed need a iPhone 4 that is unlocked, and they run for about 330 $ used on amazon. However, I don't want to buy the iPhone in germany, because a used iPhone 4 in germany runs about 460 $. Therefore I either want to buy a iPhone 4 or a android phone (most likely Atrix 4g) before I go back to germany. So what do you guys say, do you think the iPhone 4 could last me 3-4 years? (I'd like to wait for the next iPhone, but they're crazy expensive in germany ...)

Thanks

Edit: This is a factory unlocked iPhone, isn't it?

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

For $330 I would be shocked to learn that it's a factory unlocked phone. That's right around what a locked phone sells for.

8. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

OP's question is also my question.

I see tons of used iPhone 4's on Amazon and eBay- but can they be trusted?

I checked Craigslist and every iPhone in my area is sold out. But I don't mind, I'd rather have it directly shipped to me anyway.

But yeah, is it worth it?

9. Lugnutz macrumors member

They can be trusted. Obviously you have to make sure and check their feedback and ask questions. I bought a used iPhone 4 off eBay about 2 weeks ago and it looks like new and has been working fine.

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It's only money ,,, spend it if you have it , you'll get more.:apple:

11. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

[​IMG] By that philosophy, I'd like you to buy me an iPhone or two please.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

$330 :eek: Yes yes yes of course you should :)

[EDIT: Oh... It'd have to be on contract, right? :eek:]

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I say go for it, jailbreak that sucker and install Siri. You'll basically have a 4S.

14. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is $300 a reasonable price?

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

There's an A5 tucked away in the 4S remember ;)

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I know, hence the reason i refer to it as an iPhone 4 on steroids. It's not the 4S that annoys me, it's the fact that Apple waited a year and a half for a half assed upgrade. That A5 processor won't even make much of a difference until iOS 6. It's a bit snappier, but just not worth an upgrade from the 4.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Its definitely worth mentioning though when you're comparing the two devices to see which one to buy :)

18. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

When I got the 4S I sold my old 4 and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I even liked the screen better. I guess it depends on who or where you get it from. I got the 4S as a gift not by choice. I was perfectly happy with my 4.

19. szolr macrumors 6502

Agreed for the most part. Bar "the 5", which should technically read "the 6". :p The A4 chip will probably be considered something of an antique in a few years. But it'll certainly still grant you a good user experience. :)

20. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

iPhone 4s can be unlocked via the carrier
    Here in Canada it costs $50
    It's worth it cuz its an official unlock

21. anirudh macrumors 6502

If it indeed is a factory unlocked phone, then by all means go for it. Its still a good 4-5 months before the new iPhone comes out and add another 1-2 months before you get around to buying it. If you do decide to get the new phone, you can sell this one, maybe loose 100$ in the process, and consider it the rent of owning an iPhone for 5-6 months :)

22. MsBeauty macrumors member

WATCH OUT for SCAMMERS!!! Make sure you use paypal to complete the transaction. LOTS OF FAKES IPHONES in the market now.

23. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Which is why i choose not to buy from well known auction sites or dodgy shops.

I prefer to pay more for peace of mind, warranty and a genuine product.

24. MsBeauty macrumors member

UK maybe different. I am comfortable to get used iphone or even laptops. When we get used items, make sure we need to verify the Serial number with the official apple site
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Also need to check if the phone has any water damage...

We need to be smart if we want to save some $$$ .... :rolleyes:

Just avoid some "TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE DEALS!!"...

25. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Good advice.

The only high street shop i'll buy from that deal in traded in handsets in the Uk is C.E.X.

Mods, please delete if mentioning this shops name infringes any board rules.