Is it worth buying an iBook now?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Is it worth buying an iBook now?

I mean, most probably the "new, revolutionary" thing Apple would introduce on Jan. 7 is gonna be a new iMac.... but does that mean the iBook would change too?

If it would be a minor change, i wouldn't mind, but....

:(

irmongoose
 

agent_smith

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2001
4
0
I would wait

I think it would be safest to wait until January. Whatever happens at mwsf, you can be sure that the iBook will either be upgraded or at least cheaper. If youre not in critical need of one now, i think it would be best to wait 18-19 days.
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Who knows

I think we could see new iBooks in Febuary with slightly larger screens (13.1-->13.7) depending on which they can fit into the enclosure. Also, faster "sahara" G3 chips with more memory. Maybe airport as standard (I think this will become standard across all lines)

Just my opinion though!
 

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
522
1
There's definitely room for a larger screen in the iBook. I love how crisp and bright mine is, though. If only they could make the TiBook screen look that good.
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
I dont know, apple tends to keep with one screen size on their portables. I dont remember any portable lines that had variations in them, could be wrong though. It would be a horizontal product shift so that the new machines would cost the same as the old machines (just with a larger screen).
 

Delenn

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2001
18
0
Bozeman, Montana
That's true, and it's be nice to be able to support higher than 1024 x 768 resolution. But I'm thinking about purchasing an iBook in late March to early April, and on my meager High School budget, it'd be nice to be able to have a choice of a smaller screen so I can chunk of some of the money required, I rather like the 12.1 display.
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Your not the only one with the tight budget! The resolution is not necessarily going to increase on the new iBooks. Probably, wait until the new model comes out and then snap up an old model for a discounted price?
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
I would wait until january to make sure a new model does not come out (I am pretty sure they wont), if not then go and buy one the day after!!
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Generally, desktops are updates in Jan + portable in Feb (if the past is anything to go by)
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.