Is it worth buying an ipad for these reasons?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by prosoptomist8, Dec 18, 2011.

1. prosoptomist8 macrumors newbie

I wanna sell my laptop to buy one (it's 3 yrs old) to replace with an ipad. I already have a desktop so my laptop isn't really getting much use anymore. I was wondering if I should consider selling my laptop for one to use for portable school work at my university. My laptop works just fine, but it's just feeling a little old.

By the way, I'm waiting to buy an ipad 3 since rumors suggest it is due for an upgrade. But if I do sell my laptop I am thinking now is a good time since it's close to Christmas.

2. matttye macrumors 601

What do you use your laptop for and have you ever used an iOS device before? There are some pretty big differences you need to familiarise yourself with. One major one being the lack of an accessible file system.

3. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Best Buy, make the purchase, keep the receipt. Keep iPad, accessories and box in same condition. Use it for 30 days. If it doesnt suit you return it in box with all accessories prior to 30 day limit, get a refund, no questions asked.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You haven't stated what would make it worth it to you (worth is always highly subjective) in your post. You need to make the call. Even with the same circumstances, two different people can have an entirely different sense of worth.

^ This. You can't beat first hand experience for assessing the suitability of anything you're looking into.

5. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Holy Hell, did your mother kick you out of the house because you're so annoying?

----------

If you're never on your laptop that often I say go for the iPad. They're fun and great for simple computing tasks like surfing and email around the house without having to open up a clam shell... you can also use it while walking around while a laptop is only really usable when sitting down.

I had a MBA, an iMac and a iPad... Got rid of the MBA and I barely miss it. But now that I sold my first gen iPad (on Thur of this last week) I am looking forward to getting a new one... I personally just can't decide if my money is better spent on a discounted iPad 2 or a 3 at this point.

6. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I would. My main machine is a laptop and I haven't used it since I synced my iPad to it cause I can do every thing I need on a daily basis with an iPad.

7. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I'd make sure that if you need access to any internal websites while at school they would run on iOS first. If there is anything flash or java powered that you regularly need access to (to download files or view assignments), the iPad would not suit your needs.

If it's just word docs and research online, then Pages and a Bluetooth keyboard would be a very good replacement to a laptop in my opinion.