Is it worth buying an iPhone 5 now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dan987, Jul 21, 2013.

1. dan987 macrumors newbie

Coming from a Galaxy S II, would it be best to buy an iPhone 5 now or wait until Apple released the next line up of iPhones?

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I wouldn't buy one for full price when the next one is likely only a few months away. If you can wait, the iPhone 5 will get a price reduction when the next model comes out.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

I would try to get one used from Craigslist or eBay. The prices are pretty good on them right now. I wouldn't go into an expensive contract for one when the 5S is only around 2 months away.

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

My view: if you can wait 2 more months, just wait.
    If you're really wanting an iPhone 5, get it and forget about the rest, just enjoy it. It's a wonderful phone, and you'll probably be very happy with it.

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

OP,

Only you can answer that question.

No one here spending the money, nor does anyone here know situation, nor understand your needs.

6. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

If your Galaxy SII isn't in dire need of getting replaced, I would just wait it out for the 5S.

7. oaktree macrumors regular

If your current phone is fully functional, I would wait until the 5S is released. Two members of my family just purchased an iPhone 5, one because her iPhone 4 was full and she just "couldn't wait", the other because she plans to move abroad in 13 months, and the sooner she bought a new phone, the less she had to pay to break her contract. Yes, we all realize she should have upgraded a year ago, but hindsight is 20/20.

I, on the other hand, will wait until the 5S is released.

8. Evnor macrumors newbie

Wait.

5S is probably about 1,5-2 months from release. You will be glad that you waited.

If your current phone is dead, you might want to consider Lumia 520 from Walmart for 130$ off-contract. It will serve you well until next iPhone is released.

9. maxosx macrumors 68020

Buy now, the upcoming phone won't be anything more than the same old design with the only exception being an FBI style fingerprint scanner.

iOS 7 will run just fine on an iPhone 5.

10. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

11. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

If I didn't have a 5 but had a working phone I would wait. If you really don't want to wait and aren't going to be unhappy when the 5S comes out, or you have the cash to sell your relatively new 5 and buy the 5S for retail, then go for it.

Really it's all about what you want. I bought my 5 for retail after breaking my 4 which I had planned to keep until the 5S came out, and I'm very happy with it. To each their own; just don't let people harangue you for buying what you want when you want it.

12. kevroc macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat, no iPhone 5 and kinda frustrated by not having one. Got an S4 Active in the meantime and will try the Nokia 1020 for a few weeks, then after that who knows. Just trying to buy time until the new iPhone comes out.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it is too close to the release of the next iPhone to purchase the iPhone 5.

14. Dannel macrumors member

If I were you, I prefer to wait for another two months. But if you really need iphone 5 urgently, follow your heart then.

15. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Thing is what will availability be like will there be a month waiting list?will they sell full price unlocked ones at launch?? Well all carriers iphone be available?

16. SoIsays macrumors regular

The next iPhone is colored plastic. If you like a plastic iPhone that comes in different colors, you should wait.

17. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Wait until the fall there will be much better phones out then.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Should I answer this question now or wait a few days til it's asked again?

19. taedouni macrumors 65816

The S2 is a pretty old phone (over two years old). The 5S will have the same radios, screen size, and design as the 5.

Some improvements would be a faster chip, possibly battery life improvements, and the rumor finger print scanner.

20. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

That's the more affordable iPhone, not the 5S.

21. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I enjoy instant gratification. You clearly want it now. So go buy it now. Then sell it and buy the 5S when that comes out. No big deal, it's just money :cool:

22. DioGuardi macrumors newbie

Why not wait a few months and buy the newest generation:cool: