Is it worth buying an iPhone 5 with the 5S soon to appear?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by super chimp, May 1, 2013.

  1. super chimp, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

    super chimp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    My iPhone 4 has seen better days and I was wondering whether to buy an iPhone 5 now or to wait for the iPhone 5S?

    Seems to be a lot of rumours as to when it will appear and I don't whether to pull the trigger on an iPhone 5 or preserve with my 4 until the 5S appears?
     
  2. BigMac25 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2009
    #2
    I'm in the same boat. Sprint contract expires today. Thinking about jumping ship to TMobile and iphone5 since my HTC EVO 3D is having touchscreen problems, but I know 5S is coming soon. So hard to decide lol. Im trying to be patient though.

    I live in northern Colorado and thinking about moving to Charlotte. Any experiences with the main carriers in either city for speed and reliability?
     
  3. sim0n macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2013
    #3
    It probably wont be out for a few months yet anyway? And if you think like that then its never ending then you might as well wait for the 6... then the 6s...
    Just get the damn thing! :D
     
  4. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    It's the battery life that has really declined on my 4 of late and the fact that my home button has developed a mind of its own, mostly involving it not working the majority of the time, that is making me think of dumping my 4. I suppose I shouldn't complain as I have had my iPhone 4 more or less since it was released in the UK.:)
     
  5. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2008
    #5
    a few more months won't kill you... next thing you'll know we're pre-ordering the 5S. Patience is a virtue
     
  6. TyPod macrumors 68000

    TyPod

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Location:
    And Yourself?
    #6
    I'm the exact opposite in this case. Life's too short to be waiting around for the next iPhone! Who knows when it's actually going to be released anyways?!
     
  7. fullauto macrumors 6502a

    fullauto

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2012
    Location:
    Brisbane
    #8
    Buy now, keep it spiffy, sell after 5S is released (and stock is available so you don't get caught in a situation where you have no phone). You'll still get a decent return for your 5.
     
  8. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    That is something worth keeping in mind.
     
  9. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

    DesertEagle

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    Location:
    /home @ 127.0.0.1
    #10
    I have iPhone 4 too, but I'm not even sure if I bother to upgrade this year. If I were to do so, I'd wait until fall unless I really needed a new phone.
     
  10. chestvrg macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2010
    #11
    I recommend getting the iPhone 5 now, specially with t-mobile if are in an area that tmobile has good service. I personally wanted to wait for the 5S or 6 (my reasons don't matter)...like previous user said, you can always sell the 5 when the 5S or 6 comes out and you'll have the most up to date iPhone then.
     
  11. lbros360 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2013
    #12
    I just got an iphone 5 about a month ago. Considering that it is may already... I would wait if you can. If you can't, the iphone 5 is still an amazing phone.
     
  12. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

    Christian 5G

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
  13. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #14
    Thanks all for the advice on this.

    You seem to see different rumours on when the 5S will appear nearly every day. Though speaking for myself I hope it's sooner rather than later as their competitors already have their flagship devices out and I am not sure if Apple should leave it so long to release theirs. But the delay if it does occur seems to be software rather than hardware related.
     
  14. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2012
    #15
    have u tried cleaning it with alcohol? it'll work flawlessly afterwards, that is, unless it's not an issue of dirt and grit but rather a mechanical defect.
     
  15. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #16
    I assume a kit from somewhere like iFixit is needed for this?
     
  16. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2012
    #17
    :D a Youtube search on "clean iphone home button alcohol" will do. You won't need anything but one or two drops of medical alcohol
     
  17. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #18
    Thanks for the tip.
     
  18. Davejprince macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2012
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #19
    I bought my 4s a year ago to be exact and I felt stupid when the 5 came out. So I wouldn't
     
  19. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

    JetBlack7

    Joined:
    May 14, 2011
    Location:
    Portugal
    #20
    From the 4S to the 5 it's not a good idea to upgrade, but since you have a 4, you should wait for the 5S which is near and upgrade then. Just my 2 cents.
     
  20. TWD98j macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2010
    #21
    I personally would not. Sure, the iPhone 5 might still be considered a great phone but it IS about 8 months into the product life cycle by now. And given that the 5S (or whatever apple calls it) is destined to be optimized for iOS 7, what's another 4 months?

    I myself have a 4S from launch day in Oct 2011 and AT&T said as of yesterday I qualified for a full upgrade. As much as I would like a larger screen and LTE, I am NOT going to run out and use my new upgrade on an 8 month old iPhone 5.

    I am going to wait for the 5S since I am on the "S Cycle" anyway. Went from original iPhone, to a 3GS, then to a 4S.
     
  21. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2008
    Location:
    iLondon/iDurban
    #22
    You'll be waiting till October for the 5S so if you think you can then go for it.
     
  22. dsc888 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    Location:
    Boston, MA USA
    #23
    I wholeheartedly agree! That's what I did and immediately sold my lightly used Samsung GS3 for almost $400 to offset the cost. I don't see myself getting the 5S since it is many months out. The rumored upgrades are minor at best. Personally, I never used NFC on my GS3 and think the fingerprint feature is a bit gimmicky. But that's me. What will make me upgrade in the future is if Apple makes a larger screen.
     
  23. designs216 macrumors 65816

    designs216

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Location:
    Down the rabbit hole
    #24
    Precisely my thoughts. Hold onto that 4 just a little longer and buy a used 5 when the current users sell it to jump to the latest.
     
  24. super chimp, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

    super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #25
    Just found out if you buy an iPhone 5 from Apple using a well known credit card you can split the cost across 12 months at 0% interest. Must be targeted as they know I have purchased Apple goods before.
     

Share This Page