Is It Worth Getting a USB 2.0 Enclosure for my Hard Drive to use for Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AndrewMRiv, Dec 12, 2013.

1. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

I am getting my iMac in the mail today and I am moving off of a Hackintosh (just turning it into a Gaming PC purely now).

I would like to use the 3tb HDD that was in the Hackintosh as a Time Machine Backup and was looking into different enclosures. I figured that my backup didn't need to be lightning fast since it's just purely going to be a time machine drive so would it be worth it to buy a cheap $20 USB 2.0 Enclosure for the 3.5" Sata Drive? Or should I get something that is USB 3.0 compatible?

Thank you.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It would probably be quite workable with USB 2.0. After all, people have been using USB 2.0 connections for Time Machine backups for years, without issues.

3. ender78 macrumors 6502

USB 3.0 is much faster, spend a few more bucks on the 3.0 enclosure. With a decent enclosure, you'll see close to your drives native speed in the USB 3 enclosure. USB2 is dog slow.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You can get a USB 3 3.5" enclosure on amazon.com for like $38. Considering that price difference, I am really not sure why you would want to subject yourself to USB 2.

5. AndrewMRiv thread starter macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

Can you please send me a link?

Maybe I've just been a bit unlucky. I've been mostly finding 2.5" 3.0 enclosures. The two USB 3.0 3.5" enclosures did not offer USB 3.0 speeds on Macs for whatever reason which sort of discouraged me.:(

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What do you mean by not offering USB 3 speeds? Post a link to these enclosures.

I just went to Amazon and searched for USB 3 3.5" enclosure.

8. AndrewMRiv thread starter macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

9. velocityg4, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I think that one from Macsales is 2.5" only. At least I did not see where it mentioned 3.5".

Newegg has several to choose from both enclosed and open dock. The open dock models allow for swapping, better cooling and many can handle 2.5" and 3.5" drives.

Link

Apparently the link only works from a mobile device.

10. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

If you'll scroll down to the bottom you'll see that it's for 3.5" SATA drives. As already stated, I have several of them.

----------

You're welcome. They work great for me.

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

You are right in the you need not care how fast the TM disk is. You let it run 24x7. There is even some advantage to slowing it down so it uses less available bandwidth.

However you might want to use the drive from some other purpose some day and USB3 is more future proof and not really much most expensive.

But for your current use case USB 2.0 is fast enough, except for the initial backup that you run on day one. That will take a few hours. But you can use the computer normally while it runs, no big deal.

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Consider a dock instead, very handy & cost effective:

http://amzn.com/B003UI62AG

13. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

14. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I agree that USB 3.0 docks are a cost-effective and convenient alternative.

I went with this dock for about $60. (in Japanese)

Not sure they sell ones similar in the states but the best thing about it for me is that it supports two drives and they can be 3.5", 2.5" or GoFlex.

It also functions as a disk duplicator when the USB cable is disconnected, allowing one drive to be copied to another.