Is it worth getting an iPhone 4S after Xmas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lomby, Dec 21, 2011.

?

Iphone 4S ASAP or Iphone 5 on release? Please read description first :)

1. iPhone 4S - ASAP

98 vote(s)
    71.5%
  2. Iphone 5 - Later

39 vote(s)
    28.5%
  1. lomby macrumors regular

Hey Guys, :)

ok, I'm wondering if it is worth getting an iPhone 4S in January - Feb the later or should i just wait till the iPhone 5? i want to get it on a 2 year cap so when the 5S is released i will update so i get best of both worlds with all the kinks worked out (not saying that they will happen).... but just precautionary? :confused:

On a side note; if you own a 4S, do you like it?

Extra Details:
    my old phone broke in december and i am now using a 5 year old Motorola V3 Razr.... :eek:

Thank you all in advance :)

2. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

Why would you want to wait months for an iphone 5? Of course it'd be ok to get it in January.

If you buy it then, you can enjoy it for a good 8+ months before Apple releases an iPhone 5.

You really want to wait 8 months for a damn phone?

3. lomby thread starter macrumors regular

Im not too fussy on the period of time because i get the most out of it, I'm a very heavy user of my apple products. But you have a valid point

i know, the wait will be the hardest, but if i put my mind to it, it is possible

4. lomby thread starter macrumors regular

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just get it now. The iPhone 4s was released in October. I don't think Apple will release a new iPhone in the summer...it'll probably be next Fall.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

My upgrade isn't until early March. I now have the 4. I'm thinking I should upgrade in March to the 4S. When the 5 comes out I'll sell the 4 and the 4S to buy it off contract. IMO it's better than starting another contract at the release of the 5.

I would like to try Android again as an upgrade until the 5 releases but the resale value sucks.

7. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Note that he/she wants the iPhone 5S, that means at least 1,2 years from now. Thats insane... The same question again : is it worth? Or should I wait for the new macbook/iMac/iPhone/iPod?

Come on... Have you got the money? Do you want? Do you need? So why should we decide what to do with YOUR money?

8. lomby thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want you to decide, I'm quite capable of doing that myself, I have the money and I work very hard for it.... I'm asking for opinions to make the right choice and get views, is there anything wrong with that?

----------

After the 4s or 5 contract expires not wait for the 5s, that would be stupid....

----------

I've looked into android, but it doesnt appeal to me personally. I'd do your way if I had that option, but I'm going prepaid to postpaid :D

9. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Just wait. The next iPhone will be a redesign. Glass phones are for suckers.

10. HenryHealy macrumors member

Of course you should get it

I got my iPhone last January, 7 months after it was released so should definitely get it now instead of waiting.

11. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

From your sig, it looks like you have 2 iPads and 2 iPod Touches. Do you even need a smart phone at all? Since getting my iPad, I have been thinking that my next mobile phone will be a dumb phone. I occasionally use a smartphone feature on the go (maps) or at home (Apple Remote), but other than that it's just for calls and sms.

That's me; maybe you actually USE the smart phone features on your phone. If that's the case, then why wait? I guess that you might consider buying an iPhone (4 or 3Gs maybe) on the used market to avoid locking into a contract. That would give you a better device than your RAZR while you wait for the next version iPhone to drop.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Much depends on your money.

If you got the money get the 4S now and sell it when the 5 arrives later next year. The 4S will still get a good bit of money as do most Apple products.:rolleyes:

If money is short, you likely should not be looking at either phone:eek:

13. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

What makes you think that will change? I don't disagree that it will be a redesign, but what makes you think that they won't use any glass at all in the next iPhone? Are you part of their design team or something? If you in fact are, you'll likely be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for spewing confidential information on a public forum. Otherwise, you're none the wiser from the rest of us.

OP: Just get the 4S. You'll be glad you did. Waiting for the next big thing in technology is a waste of your time.

14. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Perfect!
    I REALLY wish people could think more before buy things without needing them. The consumer society is killing the planet - and our children...

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Polling other people won't tell you your preference. You need to make the call based on your needs/wants. Opinions from others aren't really relevant unless they're in the same situation with identical needs/wants. No matter what the topic, worth is highly subjective. You need to tell us what would make it worth it or not worth it to you if you want relevant feedback.

16. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

17. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Get one on a new 2yr deal, try it for 28 days, then bring it back and they will cancel your contract. U could try several different phones using this technique, as I tried an att iphone 4 in june, brought it back in july/cancelled my 2yr deal. used my 3g for a couple of weeks, then bought another 4s, (from wal-mart this time), used it for 28 days, brought it back and cancelled my 2yr deal, (no restocking fee at Wal-mart). then purchased a 3gs from att in sept, used it for 30 days, brought it back, turned on my old 3g for 2 weeks while I waited for my pre-ordered 4s to arrive.

I was going to try a sgs2 in the month of sept just to check it out for 28 days, but was afraid that I would no longer be able to look at the tiny 3.5" iphone screen ever again, so I bailed on the idea -

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Rejoice in the things that are present; all else is beyond thee. ~Montaigne

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. ~Babatunde Olatunji, a similar version is also attributed to Alice Morse Earle

I never think of the future. It comes soon enough. ~Albert Einstein

The future is no place to place your better days. ~Dave Matthews

Life lived for tomorrow will always be just a day away from being realized. ~Leo Buscaglia

Pile up too many tomorrows and you'll find that you've collected nothing but a bunch of empty yesterdays. ~The Music Man

:p

Seriously, live in the now.
    Also, don't knock the Razr V3. Great phone.

19. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

Lol, there will always be kinks! You don't remember antennagate with the 4?

If you want the best of the best, and can't wait 9 months for it, go for the 4s now.

As apple fans, we tend to demand perfection, but the kinks are not a huge hassle unless you get a really bad unit.

20. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Last year, August 2010, my phone couldn't hold a charge anymore. Max. talk time was about 10 mins. on full charge. I got a hold of an older phone and used that until I decided what phone to get. My contract was up by a year and a half at that point. There were all these crazy rumors about Sprint getting the 4 and it never happened (back then), so I waited......, as the rumors got more intense. I must have waited about 7 mos. to receive the confirmation that Sprint was onboard. I wanted the most current iPhone. I'm glad I waited. So if you can wait, I'd wait for the 5; that's about 7-8 months approx. give or take. Otherwise, if you need now, get the 4S.

21. scaredpoet, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Self-righteousness and quick judgements aside, you don't know what he's using them for, nor is it for us to judge if he needs them or not. Maybe he's an app developer, or has some legitimate business use for them. We just don't know for sure.

It's his money to spend as he pleases, regardless of whether we think it's folly. Just like its no one's business to judge your lifestyle or what you do with your money.

To the OP: my iPhone 4S serves me well and I feel that getting one was a good decision. I'm not planning on getting an iPhone 5 until I see what it can do and whether its new features are useful enough to me to consider upgrading. In the meantime, the 4S does everything I've wanted a smartphone to do for a long time now.

If the 4S is useful to you, then get it. You can always sell or gift the 4S to someone else and get the 5 when it comes out if it's worthwhile to you.

22. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

Lmfao holy far left statement.

Anyways get the 4s it's awesome.

23. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

But it now you won't be disappointed! I love mine.

24. ecwhite4S, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

LOL, after Christmas? Christmas is in 4 days! What's gonna change between now and then? I say go ahead and get it, unless you want to wait up to 8 or more months for the next iPhone.

People need to stop worrying about having the latest and greatest. There will always be something out greater than what you have, just enjoy it.

25. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Just got mine for Christmas, couldn't be happier. Think of all the times you will be using during the summer for getting together with people, taking pictures by the pool, etc. You would have it for months, and then if you really want the iPhone 5, sell the 4S and pay a little extra for an early upgrade or break contract.