Is it worth giving up my unlimited data (AT&T)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eternlgladiator, Oct 5, 2014.

1. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Can anybody help me figure this out? I see all these great deals the carriers are running and am starting to wonder if I should be getting rid of my unlimited data. History says I've only gone over 3GB one or two times in the last 12 months and for most of those I did not have wifi at work. Now I have wifi at work and use it whenever possible there and at home. I expect my data will probably continue to hover just over 2GB a month as that's my recent trend.

I currently pay 24 per month for it (30 plus 20% off discount)

Should I not worry and just keep rolling? I'm not really looking to save money unless it's significant but perhaps paying a few bucks less and selling my plan could do some good.

Any thoughts?

2. Dizle macrumors 6502

I had unlimited data and switched to a network with good coverage and way faster LTE speeds in my area. Tmobile paid my etf fee so I own my 6plus outright, gave me $240 for my iPhone 5 that'll pay for a couple months of my new $60 3gb plan. So I'm saving $35/ month and getting a couple months free, over the course of a year or two it's worth the switch for me. Besides I never went over 3gb and Att throttled at 5gb anyways. So long unlimited!

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

How can someone else decide if it is worth it for you to give up unlimited data. That is a decision that you have to make.

4. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

Do NOT give it up. I did and totally regret it, saving a tiny amount some months but the other months that I go over I get SCREWED. Unlimited is epic since you can't get overage fees.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Or data that is not throttled after 5Gb.

Data that is throttled after 5Gb ≠ Unlimited Data

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I noticed you said 3GB's.
    You know the unlimited LTE iphone data plan gets throttled only passed 5GB right?

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

If you're on an individual account and paying less than $100/mo, just keep it. Pricing on the new Mobile Share plans for customers with just 1-2 lines are much higher compared to old minutes plans.

8. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

In addition to what other posters have said, think of the unlimited plan as a (relatively) cheap 5GB plan with no overages. You could try to optimize your data plan for 3GB, since you hit that per month now. But you will always be trying to optimize your usage to stay under the limit to avoid outrageous overage fees. All it takes is one leaky app or update like FB's auto play and you take it in the shorts.

9. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Went to AT&T store and was wondering about changing. They pulled up all kinds of 'statistics' on my usage. 'Well, in the last month, you haven't gone over .2g, so you are paying a lot for something that you aren't using.'

Well, yeah, on those 'statistics' I am crazy, but that's only one month. When I travel I use the hell out of my data and voice plans, and have actually gone over on texts trying to keep up with people at home and at remote location.

I *was* tempted to give up the 'unlimited' plan, but after reading the comments here, will do all I can to keep it. It would be nice if they didn't try so hard to be 'helpful'... I mean, I guess for someone else in my current position, it *would* make sense, but like virginity, you can't get it back once wasted.

I would imagine that iTunes Match would push up my data usage...

10. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Need much more information about what your current plan is and how much you are paying already before we could actually help you. Anyone who tells you what you should do before you give us this is simply guessing in the dark.

11. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

Me to

The problem is that ATT took it away with the update to iPhone 6 now 2 week and they are playing with me.

12. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

My current plan is:

Nation 450 for $40 20% off to $32
    Unlim Data for $30 20% off to $24
    Unlim Text for $20
    Total of $76

13. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Hmmmm as an individual on AT&T you are pretty much hosed.

AT&T's cheapest individual plan currently is $65/mo for 2gb + unlim talk & text. Not a good value at all considering the fact that Verizon is offering the same plan for $5 less per month but also includes a free $450 subsidy every 2-years.

No way in hell I'd give up unlimited data w/ a free $450 phone subsidy every two years, like you currently have, just so I could pay AT&T more money each month for less data and no subsidy.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

You're better off keeping it. You'd be paying more for less on the Share plans and be at risk of overages. I would only consider giving it up if you're a person who usually goes over 5GB each month and continuously gets throttled.