Is it worth it to upgrade to the I7 chip

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr M5, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

I'm curious, I see a lot of people that replace their macbook when the refreshes come out. But to me, it seems like it's almost better just to replace the guts of your computer and save some money.

So to my question, for somebody like me who has an I5 mid 2010 macbook pro, what would be the reasons to upgrade to an I7? Seems like if anyone would upgrade a $250 chip is a better idea than a $2000 laptop.

2. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

Do you feel limited by your current processor's performance? If not, then likely you'll not need the better chip. If you do however need more performance, e.g. for software development (virtual machines), video / audio applications or gaming, then a quicker CPU is a good bet.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't replace just the processor in Apple portables.

4. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

ok, what else needs replaced?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't replace the chips because they are soldered. Your entire idea is not possible.

6. MarocSpecops macrumors newbie

MarocSpecops

yeah, buy your mac , and buy a new one. i did it, never regretted, came from 2.4 i5 to 2.2 i7 sweet

7. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

understood. I can't justify 2 grand to my self.

My mac has long been bought, I didn't know they even let you out the store without paying for it :)

8. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

Honestly I can't tell you about the Dual core i5/i7's I know there is barely a difference between them.I think that dual core i5/i7's can supply alot of people's needs.I have the 2.3Ghz quad core and think it is amazing but i see no need for you to upgrade.