Is it worth replacement? (iPhone 5S)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miragebg, Sep 1, 2014.

1. miragebg macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,
    I bought a new iP5S last week, which actually works very nice.
    The only problem it has is one stuck green pixel (visible at brightness level above 50%) located above the operator's logo, half a mm from the edge of the frame.

It has also a bit of yellowish screen, but I fixed this using JB and Color Profiles. Now it looks gorgeous.
    The battery is also very strong:

[​IMG]

My question is, if you were me, would you go for replacement?
    It's a brand new phone and the one I'll eventually get will be most probably a refurbished unit.
    What is your advise?

2. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I would make an appointment and request to the Genius for only a screen replacement. If they only offer to replace the entire device I would possibly not do it. I haven't seen battery life that good to want to sacrifice it.

3. miragebg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, that was exactly my point...
    Almost 10 hours of usage and that's without listening to any music.
    Do you think they will leave some visible marks on the aluminum or anywhere else when they do a swap of the screen? I mean, it's a new device and it's not nice to be with dents and scuffs after only a week of use...

4. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

You're assuming you have a special battery but it's not the case, you'll get a brand new battery with a refurbished model.

5. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

If it's a stuck pixel try downloading a video of flashing colors and playing it fullscreen. There's a chance you can unstick it.

6. warriorz macrumors regular

Just regarding the refurb replacement, you won't get a 'brown box refurb', it will be a brand new sealed unit as it's within the 14 days. Similar happened to me, a while ago but still.
    As to your whole question, if it bothers you most of the time, get it replaced. If not you have a phone you like, with one small 'defect'. Tiny things are bound to be there.

7. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

If it bothers you too much, schedule an appointment with a genius and see what they can do for you.

8. miragebg thread starter macrumors 6502a

It won't be a brand new unit as replacement, because I bought it from eBay..:(
    Is the 14 days period valid in this case- if the phone was activated a week ago?

9. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

No, the 14 day policy only applies if you bought it from Apple. You will most likely get a "reconditioned" unit.

Even if you did buy it from Apple, they will still replace it with a refurb unit if you neglect to mention that it's still within the 14 day return window.

10. miragebg, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

miragebg thread starter macrumors 6502a

In this case, when it comes to "new vs refurbished", I don't think I have to take a refurb only after a week of having brand new unit , do I? For a stuck pixel, which is not visible in 99% of daily use...
    Isn't it better to wait and when my device get's scratched, then to go and get it replaced. They will accept it in any way, when I show the pixel at full brightness on a black background..

----------

I tried, no lick..
    Actually I've tried this many times and never got lucky to fix stuck pixel in matter of fact...

11. miragebg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to Apple store today and one of the guys there told me that for a pixel they will replace the screen only.
    I am only worried if there will be some marks/scuffs/dents/scratches left after the replacement.
    What do you think? Have u ever have a screen replacement only in Apple Store?

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Just make sure you check your phone before you leave. They know what they're doing, but in case anything happens, make sure you look it over and point out any issues before you leave.

13. miragebg, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

miragebg thread starter macrumors 6502a

My screen was replaced by a "Genius" and now everything is amazing - no stuck/dead pixels, no backlight bleeding and for first time among all of displays I've seen - no interlacing lines at all! ( the test image is perfectly stable with no flickering at all)
    Very happy with the service I got today:))))
    And I kept my perfectly working unit, without getting refurbished replacement- yu- huuuu!/:)))