Is it worth selling an iPhone 6 to pay off your contract to get a 6s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Barcafan89, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Barcafan89 macrumors member

Barcafan89

2. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

Was to me. I was able to sell my 6 to pay off my phone and have a little extra. So a brand new phone with no out pocket up front payment. Sounds good to me

3. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

In UK? Definitely not unless you're on O2 Refresh.

4. Barcafan89 thread starter macrumors member

Barcafan89

Well the upfront cost is really bad that's what's stopping me

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Worth is subjective. How much do you owe, how much will you get from selling your current phone to offset the price of the 6s.

I can see myself spending about 932 bucks (or in that neighborhood) for a 64GB iPhone 6s with applecare and taxes. Selling my IP6+, I can get say 400, and I have some allowances from my company for another 400. That's 800 bucks, so I'd only be out of pocket 132 dollars - yet with that said I'm not finding it worth the money or extra effort at the moment. Maybe I'll change my mind once the phone hits the street but to me its not worth it.

6. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I'm selling my iPhone but I'm not paying off my 02 refresh contract.
    I'm just going to keep my contract going and selling my phones pays towards my new one.

7. Barcafan89 thread starter macrumors member

Barcafan89

My iPhone 6 Plus 16 gb is worth 280 pounds my contract buy out is 290 pounds

8. Evad3 macrumors member

Evad3

Sell iPhone 6+
    Buy iPhone 6S+
    See your current contract through using new iPhone
    Assess options after contract end (SIM only?)

What I would do, it makes sense rather than essentially throwing £300 away to only sign back up for a further 24 months

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you'll be on the hook for the full price of the iPhone 6s - do you want to spend that much money? What features does the 6s have that you really want? Is it worth selling a year old phone for?

10. 617aircav Suspended

This is a question nobody can answer except you. You 6 won't be much different from your 6s in most use scenarios. Do you have money to burn, if you do then it's a no brainer.

11. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I buy every year and sell the x models and keep the s models.

Gen1- keep
    3G- skipped
    3gs- keep
    4- sold
    4s- keep
    5- sold
    5s- keep
    6 plus- sold
    6s- keep
    7- buy and sell
    7s- keep

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why? What purpose does it server to keep the s version, it's not like you'll ever get anything significant for a 5 year old phone or anything. Plus that means spending a lot of money each year without recouping even a portion of it.

Its your money and you can do what you want with it, but I'd rather try to offset my cost if possible, but then I have a family, mortgage and other responsibilities, something my finite paycheck needs to accommodate, not just the phone :)

13. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I sold mine well ahead of time to get a good price.

I wish I had NOT done that

I am using a Moto X, a very well reviewed device...and it is driving me crazy.

Can't wait to get back into an iPhone.

14. AintDutchNotMuch macrumors regular

AintDutchNotMuch

Well you're asking, so you'll get my honest opinion. I would say NO. But that's just because the iPhone 6 is such a fantastic phone. It's fast, stable, reliable, great camera, and battery life was already great and has gotten even better after iOS 9.

To me, the differences are not big enough to spend money to buy a phone that looks the same on the outside. And when you decide to keep the 6, there may come a situation where someone will ask you "Hey, is that that new 6S!?" You can say "Yes, yes it is!". "Oh, can you show me the 3D Touch feature then?". You can say: "Ehmm, I have to go now, I have a meeting I'm already late for.."

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I sold my 64GB 6+ on Gumtree last night for £450. I owe £375 on O2 Refresh, and the 6S+ is £49.99 up front. So it cost me nothing up front to get into a 6S+.

The only problem is that I have to live with an iPhone 4 until the 6S+ arrives....and let me tell you, life is grim currently.:mad:

16. 617aircav Suspended

Why are you owing? Why not buy full price, sell and buy the next one full price?

17. Evad3 macrumors member

Evad3

Why don't you just buy the iPhone 6S staight up and continue your contract? Am I missing somthing? Serious question

18. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I just like collecting the different iterations of the iphone.. so I keep the S series. I get that I could've keep doing the buy and sell cycle and take less of the offset on what I have to pay but I just like keeping the second versions. I know it's a waste of money.. but I'm gonna throw in the good ole "it's better than spending it on drugs". haha.

19. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I personally will never get an iPhone on contract, I'm with EE (SIM only) and there contract plans are so high price, both upfront and monthly payment its outrageous.

I think O2 are the best for swapping over phones during a plan as you can do O2 refresh, but I don't know anything about that.

Considering I'm paying £18 p/m for my SIM only and I'm getting more then most plans are now on a contract basis.

I would even hold out to see if that iPhone program comes out in the UK this year, will be cheaper then anything else I think.

20. Evad3 macrumors member

Evad3

SIM only + unlocked phone does work out better for me too.

I'm not completely sold on the sounds of the iPhone refresh program, we will have to see but initial impressions are you're essentially selling your iPhone back to Apple for a cheaper price than you would get privately. I'm not entirely clued up on it but I guess it would be good for people who dont want the hassle of buying and selling at the time of every new release.

21. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

yeah I mean I did some calculations on it before, I think it will work out better if you look at it per year, as effectively you would be anyway if you upgrade every year.

The cost of that iPhone works out a lot cheaper plus you get apple care +

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It costs me £375 to quit my contract 14 months early, and then another £49.99 to sign up for another 24 month contract on a 64GB 6S+. So that's £424.99 to get into the new iPhone as opposed to £699 if buying one outright. My monthly contract amount will be £50 a month whether I keep the old contract going or start a new one.

Sure buying outright and having a SIM-only contract is best in terms of outlay but spreading the cost just makes upgrading seem cheaper...

23. Evad3 macrumors member

Evad3

Yeah, I think it could work out better on a year to year basis until the last year you wish to not upgrade and stop the program.

Interesting though for sure, hopefully comes to the UK post-christmas period

24. 617aircav Suspended

I would assume anyone upgrading from a 6 to a 6s (very similar phones) has a lot of disposable income.

25. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Are you with O2?

As that wouldn't work with EE, with EE that calculate the remaining months then -33% deductions, the final cost is then for you to be out of your contract and you have the iPhone.

You then depending in plan and spec'd iPhone would then have to pay around £150+ for the iPhone upfront cost let alone a fairly high monthly cost for the iPhone an plan, there is then the hassle of selling the iPhone, to try and minimize the cost of the high payouts