Is it worth selling my 4S to get an iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Captain America, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Captain America macrumors 6502

So right off the bat it seems like a bad idea. No phone service, can't fit it in your pocket. All true things.

In my case however, we're going to be losing phone service because my mom can't afford to pay the bill anymore and I can't chip in enough (family plan) I can't get my own plan as it would cost me more than I was paying her which isn't an option either, so I saw that my only option (save for getting a cheap prepaid phone/plan) was to get an iPad 2 with 3G and use it to communicate with others.

I just put my phone up on Craigslist early this morning, and I've gotten contacted by a couple of people, one of which who offered $600. Is that a good enough deal and is what I'm doing a good idea? I'm kind of unsure of myself.

Thanks for the input ladies and gents.

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

The real question is, what are your other options? You need a cell phone. An iPad won't completely replace a cell phone. If you want to spend $600 dollars on that, then I guess go for it. My option would be to go to TMobile or something like that, get yourself a Droid, or something you can afford, and be done with it. You're not going to want to pull your iPad out on the street just to iMessage someone (who has iOS 5).

3. Captain America, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Wouldn't just be iMessage. 3G means I can get a data plan to text with an app.I can't find anything cheaper than the iPad 2 data plan, and there is a small chance my mom might be paying for a cheap ol' prepaid phone if need be, although I do understand the cumbersome/awkwardness of pulling that out while walking around. Not that I do much of that tho lol.

Also, what of the $600 I'm being offered? I posted it for $675 but not sure if $600 is a good bet or not.

4. tips macrumors member

More than that, ipad2 is too delicate to keep in car seat, or hold without covers, or text while driving or in car.

5. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Too delicate? And I don't really like texting while driving. Not the best idea. And I'd get a cover for it.

6. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

what are you going to do about your contract? You just stop paying your bills? if your mom is struggling why not sell the phone and help her out.

7. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Because she just wants to say eff it and let it go on its own. As for why I won't sell it and save the day, I'm simply going to say I'm not throwing away my phone for that. There's a lot of crap going on family related where I don't see it as an option.

8. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Ah....

I have heard tell of these things called "jobs" that people get to pay for the things they want that have ongoing month-to-month financial commitments.

9. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Hilarious. I have one and it doesn't pay enough. Been trying to get a second one for a looonngg time. Now, care to make an actual contribution to the thread?

10. mwulf67 macrumors regular

You already stated your answer....a cheap prepaid phone/plan.

An Ipad is a luxury item you apparently can’t or shouldn’t afford...stop trying to impress people and live within your means...

Sorry to be harsh, but sometime the best advice is often hard to hear...

11. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

true that I can't afford it without selling my phone (or waiting till next month and using some of my excess school money. Only problem there is that I might be phoneless during the waiting period). But don't think I'm trying to impress anyone.

12. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

If you are having money problems, why the hell are you thinking about getting an iPad? You don't NEED one.

13. 3lionsbecks, Dec 7, 2011

3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Sorry bud, but if you can't afford the monthly plan for an iPhone (you can get a plan with no data to still do texting/phone) witch is at most $35 a month, then you can't afford an iPad.

I guess you should sell your iPhone 4s, get a cheaper BB or android phone and buy an affordable plan. You don't need data and obviously you can't afford it either.

14. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i can kind of see where your priorities are. Your mom won't pay the bill (and is willing to ding her credit) so you want to now get an iPad?? If you can't pay your cell phone bill obviously you must be struggling so to get an iPad is insane to me.

Sell the iPhone and keep money in your pocket for a rainy day.

15. matttye macrumors 601

iPads are good but even with iMessage they can't replace phones.

Why not get an android phone? You could pick up something decent like a htc sensation for $450 or even a galaxy s2 for $511.

Both sim free on amazon.com..

16. rmhop81, Dec 7, 2011

rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

why would he pay that kinda prices when he already has an iphone 4s??

17. matttye macrumors 601

Have you read the original post? He said keeping his iPhone isn't an option.

18. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

He has a phone that doesn't exist?

19. toddybody Guest

toddybody

Id sell the iPhone and use the money for the family. Just use a cheap off contract phone. Besides, in a years time the iPhone 5 will hit and you might be in a good position to buy one. Cheers.

PS: To sorta answer the question, If i had to be without my iPhone 4S or iPad 2...I'd keep the iPad 2.

20. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yes i read the original post...that's not what it said lol

21. matttye macrumors 601

It clearly does:

"In my case however, we're going to be losing phone service because my mom can't afford to pay the bill anymore and I can't chip in enough (family plan) I can't get my own plan as it would cost me more than I was paying her which isn't an option either, so I saw that my only option (save for getting a cheap prepaid phone/plan) was to get an iPad 2 with 3G and use it to communicate with others."

:p

22. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Matttye...please you aren't that thick are you? What you wrote (about buying a different phone for $500) makes absolutely no sense at all.

:confused:

23. matttye macrumors 601

It makes more sense to replace a phone that he can't keep with a phone that he can keep, than it does to replace a phone that he can't keep with a tablet.

How is that thick?

24. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

obviously it was an error

----------

who said he can't keep it?? is AT&T going to come to his house and repo it? He said he wouldn't have service bc his mom won't pay the bill.

25. matttye macrumors 601

HE said he can't keep it!!

He listed his only options as getting an iPad 2 or a cheap payg phone. I dont see "keep my iphone" listed as an option there do you? I simply advised him based on his own "only" options!

If you want to argue with anyone argue with the original poster, not me :p