Is it worth taking the risk………MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by H2SO4, May 7, 2017.

1. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

So I’m interested in a MacBook Pro seen on eBay as I need something extra for work to run Win7. In the description it says, “Turns on when connected to charger/power but turns off if disconnected”.
    So obviously I’m thinking battery but of course that is by no means a given as it could be a lot of other things. Do you guys think it’s worth the risk, (currently sits at £355 without a bid)?
    I’ve asked the following Q’s but have not yet heard back…
    Hi there I have a couple of questions if you don't mind;
    Can you confirm that if you run the EXTENDED Apple hardware test that the machine passes all tests please, (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201257)? If not can you let me know the result?
    Can you confirm that there are no dents on the machine please.
    Can you confirm that the machine will be deregistered properly from previous owners please, (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...of-macs-ramifications-of-find-my-mac.1691934/)?

Also there is a small chip on the corner suggesting a drop at some time;
    Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.09.09.jpg

Appreciate any opinion at all.

Thx.

2. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

That doesn't look bad. The answers to the questions will be more telling. If the unit has AppleCare asks if it is still active and if the seller will transfer it. The times we've sold Apple items that had AppleCare we've worked with Apple and our buyer to transfer the coverage.

3. H2SO4 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for that. Forgot about the Apple Care thingy, will do. I’m a little more cautious about a notebook as they are more difficult to fix if faeces and fan get acquainted.
    Whilst no answer isn't necessarily a sign of bad things - I still want some kind of idea and considering the auction ends is today I’m surprised all has been quiet.

4. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

No answers from an eBay seller are red flags for me. A good seller will work to answer all questions in a timely fashion. Now this is the weekend and provided there is still time left for the auction I would wait a bit.

Now a personal tale of an older MBP.

My wife had an MBP 2007 vintage. She was in a master's level course with people who shouldn't have graduated high school. She took lots of notes on the MBP. Her classmates made it a point to trip over the charging cable every time they walked by her, thus knocking her MBP to the floor.

After a few times she declared to the class the next person who did that would be soundly knocked upside the head with said MBP and it would still continue working without issue as they have seen it work every time they knocked it to the floor.

No one took her up on the free head banging. Never had an issue with that MBP.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

5. H2SO4 thread starter macrumors 68040

Good to know. Hopefully I’ll get an answer soon as otherwise I’ll never feel comfortable with it.

6. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Her classmates were upset at her doing all the homework and doing so well. It was a writing course and all homework was supposed to be done.

After the teacher became aware of what was happening she reminded them they would be soundly graded based on completion of homework and such.

They accused my wife of telling the instruction and my wife informed them she had not. She could care less how they did and felt they could fail quite easily on their own. Then they asked her for her notes and she bluntly told them where they could file their request.

Now my wife has helped other people in other classes. People who were present and working as hard as she did. Not everyone gets everything the instruction will say. But to have lazy people try to destroy your laptop, then accuse you of being a fink and then asking for your hard work was just more than she could stand.

7. H2SO4 thread starter macrumors 68040

She should have resorted to the old Ed Bundy ‘five across the eyes’!