Is it worth upgrading to a series 3 if you have a series 2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jacoblee23, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

Also, if so is it worth upgrading to a gps version as well or only the lte version?

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I went from a series 2 to a series 3 and I was actually pretty surprised at the speed difference. If you primarily use the watch for notifications then you probably won’t really see much of a difference from the upgrade, but if you use apps and Siri and such on the watch then I think it’s definitely worth it.

3. redavis41 macrumors member

redavis41

I'd say it depends on what you plan to do with it. The Watch itself is much snappier and I don't notice a lag like Series 2. For example, my Carrot weather app loads current weather in an instant. It blows me away because I'm so used to the delay with Series 2 load that I'm waiting and here it's already loaded current weather. I workout 4-5 days a week and use the watch for fitness instructor classes and as a daily driver so I appreciate the speed and added LTE is a bonus because I can leave my phone at home when taking my kids to sporting events.

4. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 65816

Which version did you get? GPS or lte?

5. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I got the LTE, but LTE or not is probably a whole different discussion. Personally I think there are times where it would be nice to leave my phone behind, but if you’re going to be near your phone all the time or don’t want to pay extra then stick with GPS only.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Series 2 and Series 3 are fairly similar, aside from the LTE, faster dual core processor, W-2 Chip, and audible Siri. LTE would be dependent if you want to be not tethered to your iPhone, otherwise, the GPS model would likely be suitable.

But I don't view the Series 3 to be an upgrade from the Series 2, I considered it more of a lateral grade. Especially if you are not interested in LTE.

7. yansun macrumors 6502

I would wait another year for the Series 4.

8. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Speed difference is notable (e.g. Siri, wireless transfers). LTE version offers ceramic back, more than twice the storage and perhaps further improvements still unknown. Additional cost is moderate, so I'd always go for LTE and leave it inactivated, if it's not considered worthwhile just yet.

9. anticipate macrumors 6502

anticipate

I can echo everyone here that the speed difference is noticeable - it's significant. There is very little waiting and no real scroll lag anymore. The faster wireless (it was glacial before) is appreciated as well. And the LTE is great for those moments or hours when you want to pay more attention to the world but still be connected.

That said the S2 is a fine watch and fast enough if you don't use many apps but just the core functionality. If you DO use a lot of apps, like me, S3 (even non LTE) is worth it.

10. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys. I am overall happy with my Series 2, but there is lag present at times that gets annoying. My problem is I literally have my phone with me almost everywhere. I am trying to think of instances on where I would use the LTE. Maybe if nothing else to turn bluetooth off of my phone and conserve the battery?

11. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Only a month ago, I received an S2 as a replacement for the S0 that I broke, and I'm tempted by the S3. It would do the job when I'm out and don't need all the capabilities of my phone -- all I'd need is to be able to be called or texted.

But, because Apple also gave me two years of AC+, I can wait it out and see what S4 and watchOS 5 bring.

If I still had my S0, though, I'd put my name down for a steel or ceramic S3.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Since you mention lag, this is a question I've got for current S3 owners: Does it have less lag when it needs to grab data from the phone/network? The S2's UI has been slick enough to satisfy me, and I recognize that it's at its slowest when it loads data from elsewhere (sometimes depending on the app's server).

Experiment by making your phone difficult to reach -- put it in your backpack or gym sack -- and trust the watch to do its job.

That'd be like when I started putting my phone in my pack as I walked to and from work. I learned how much the watch could do "by itself"; even though the phone carried the data, the watch was my sole interface. When I saw for myself how easy it was to send texts and whatnot, even on watchOS 1 and 2, I was much more confident in the watch's ability to act as a first-line communication gadget.