Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I travel a lot and stay in random cities, and so the TV I use is often times not going to be 4K.

While I have a 4K TV at home, I do not live there for long before traveling to a new place.

I have the original Xbox One (NOT Xbox One X or One S. Just the very first Xbox One) and was wondering if I would notice a different using a Series X if the TV was just a regular HD one (not 4K)

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I travel a lot and stay in random cities, and so the TV I use is often times not going to be 4K.

While I have a 4K TV at home, I do not live there for long before traveling to a new place.

I have the original Xbox One (NOT Xbox One X or One S. Just the very first Xbox One) and was wondering if I would notice a different using a Series X if the TV was just a regular HD one (not 4K)
My understanding is that the Xbox series X and Xbox one X are optimized for gaming on a 4K device. That said, if you aren’t primarily gaming on a 4K tv, I think your money would likely be better spent on a Xbox one S or Xbox series S.

Reactions: Hieveryone

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It can certainly make a difference in some games that struggle on the base model. The most recent being Cyberpunk 2077. Which looks virtually unplayable on the base model.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
If there are games you want to play (eventually) on Series X, then sure. In my case, I have an OLED 1080P TV and an Xbox One X. I'm not interested in any of the launch stuff, but I will eventually get a Series X once they release some games I want to play.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If there are games you want to play (eventually) on Series X, then sure. In my case, I have an OLED 1080P TV and an Xbox One X. I'm not interested in any of the launch stuff, but I will eventually get a Series X once they release some games I want to play.

I am thinking about upgrading to Xbox Series X and then selling my original Xbox One on eBay. I think if I can get 100-200 bucks for it then getting the Xbox Series X for 300-400 is good since I plan on using it a lot long term

My original Xbox One probably won't be too good a few years from now...even though I'm doing just fine today

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Cyberpunk2077 says how dare you....😁

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I think the quicker load times and Quick Resume are reason enough to upgrade. I'm not sure how quiet the Xbox One was, however, noise was another big factor in my upgrade decision considering I came from a (very loud) PS4. If you care about that kind of stuff, you will see a huge difference if you upgrade.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I think the quicker load times and Quick Resume are reason enough to upgrade. I'm not sure how quiet the Xbox One was, however, noise was another big factor in my upgrade decision considering I came from a (very loud) PS4. If you care about that kind of stuff, you will see a huge difference if you upgrade.
Well said. 4k is over hyped. 60fps, fast load times, snappy UI and consistent performance stand out much more.

I play my Series X on a 1440p gaming monitor a 4k 1,000nit HDR TV. When done well, HDR makes visuals in games utterly mesmerising.

Reactions: thisismyusername

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Well said. 4k is over hyped. 60fps, fast load times, snappy UI and consistent performance stand out much more.

I play my Series X on a 1440p gaming monitor a 4k 1,000nit HDR TV. When done well, HDR makes visuals in games utterly mesmerising.

This is the part I need to figure out. I was just able to get an order in for an Xbox Series X. I got very lucky. Now comes the research part where I need to figure out what all hardware I need for the perfect setup.

I keep seeing 1440p is better than 4K. I need to also figure out how many FPS I need, 60 or 120, HDR, etc etc

I also need to setup a great sound system with it. I think playing COD on a huge TV screen with the perfect specs along with surround sound would be amazing.

Unfortunately, I do move around a lot, so I won't have the perfect setup everywhere I go. But I should at least have the perfect setup at home whenever I am there.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
This is the part I need to figure out. I was just able to get an order in for an Xbox Series X. I got very lucky. Now comes the research part where I need to figure out what all hardware I need for the perfect setup.

I keep seeing 1440p is better than 4K. I need to also figure out how many FPS I need, 60 or 120, HDR, etc etc

I also need to setup a great sound system with it. I think playing COD on a huge TV screen with the perfect specs along with surround sound would be amazing.

Unfortunately, I do move around a lot, so I won't have the perfect setup everywhere I go. But I should at least have the perfect setup at home whenever I am there.
Most single players, especially open world ones will run at 30-60 max.

Multiplayer fps and some racing games will have a 120fps option.

However, the higher frame rate option in many games has visual compromises.

If you play competatively then a 120fps-144 screen/Monitor is handy. For your next tv i would recommend one that does HDR very well as it makes a significant difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.