Is it worth using an upgrade to buy a 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nikeman11, Oct 11, 2013.

1. nikeman11 macrumors newbie

Current 4s user here that has an upgrade available. I am debating whether it is worth it to use my upgrade to purchase a 5s or find a used 5 and keep the upgrade for the 6 next year. I feel the biggest want I have is access to LTE. Not sure all the other upgrades are that big. Anyone that has used both a 5 and 5s any comments would be appreciated on what you like.

2. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

if you're doubting, then you shouldn't. PLAIN and simple.

that being said, I believe the 6 would be a massive release. I love the 5 and the 5s i'm waiting on but if im on your shoes and debating if I would use my upgrade, I would purchase the 5/5s out of pocked and wait for the 6.

OR, but the 5S and just sell it and use that profit to buy the 6.

WIN WIN

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Used 5 if keeping the upgrade is that important. You can buy a 5 for around 400-500, and sell your old 4s for around 200 so it's basically a$ 200 upgrade.

I have upgrades every year so I am always on the latest iPhone. I don't notice any difference between the 5 and 5s in daily usage besides TouchID.

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I had the 4S before. Was going to wait for the 6, just because the iPhone 6 sounds cool for some reason, and I think we're in for some cool surprises...plus the redesign alone...

However, my room mate got his 5S on launch day, and I got jealous and upgraded. I usually get a new iPhone every 2 years, but I'm gonna have fun with my 5S and sell it late summer 2014 and wait for the 6.

With all of that said, I love my 5S. It's space gray so it looks stunning, it's fast as hell, and the LTE alone is such an upgrade over the 4S with 3G. Haven't tested the camera yet, but it's getting rave reviews, and the fingerprint sensor is a fun bonus. No complaints, phone runs flawlessly and fast. Did I mention fast?

5. M87 macrumors 65816

Eh, get the new one and figure something out next year. Worst case scenario sell the 5S to offset the cost of the 6.

6. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I went from a 4S to a 5s, and it's a HUGE upgrade. I don't know what you're expecting the 6 to be, but nobody knows what that will look like.

My advice would be to upgrade to the 5S and take the 6S that follows.

7. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

I skipped the iPhone 5 last year, so this year I went from 4s to 5s.

Pretty huge difference. I can just use my second line to upgrade to the 6 when it comes out if I want to, though.

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

By not using an upgrade when its available you are giving even more money to the carriers.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I keep two iPhones so that I have a development device (I won't run betas on my daily driver). I just got rid of my unlocked 4S using the "Sold" app for $289, so don't let the cost hold you back.

The difference between the 4S and the 5S is, as others have said, enormous. More so, even, than going from the 4S to the 5.

And as the previous poster pointed out, not using an upgrade is wasting money, since subsidized phones are built into the price of your plan.

10. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

The more I hear about the iphone 6 with a possible wider display using just about the same iphone 5 or 5s form factor, and with some of the issues now being reported with the 5s, the more I personally would consider waiting/keeping my upgrade for the iPhone 6. That's just me. I sent back my 5s verizon and was going to get the 5s AT&T, but since there is a back log of the new 5S's, not knowing how long, the iphone 6 is now tempting. Just me.

11. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I just bought one 32gb iPhone 5 on eBay for $350, and another one for $395 (including shipping, both came with original boxes and sync cables, ear phones, etc.) Look for the ones newly listed with "or Best Offer"...

12. aneftp macrumors 601

This. Agree.

Next year sell off iPhone 5s for $350-450 depending on GB model and timing of new iPhone release.

Use money to purchase full price iPhone 6.

13. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Coming from a 4S, I can definitely say that it's a nice upgrade. I managed to get one last Friday while I was in Texas for a wedding. Everything is snappy, the bigger screen is a definite plus, and like you said, LTE. The camera is much improved, so if you're like me and use the iPhone as your point & shoot, you'll appreciate that as well. Oh yeah, 1080p video looks great as well. My buddy recorded me playing the pipe organ in the church and aside from my mistakes, it's a darn fine recording in terms of video and sound when you consider it was shot with a phone.

Personally, I'm content to stay on the "xS" upgrade cycle since it always seems like they get the "one more thing" that should've been there the first time around.

Plus, I was basically paid to upgrade and sign a new contract. Trade-in value for my 16GB 4S was $215 and I wanted the same in a 5S. Unless you're adamant about messing around with eBay or Craigslist, it seems that you'll get a fair price on the trade-in programs for the time being.

In short: do it. You won't be disappointed with the features & upgrades that come with it.

14. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

15. N e e k macrumors 6502

You're waisting an upgrade - and there's no point in waiting. If you wait until you get the 6, then you won't get the 6S, which basically will be better than the 6, and so on... My point is get it when possible. There will always be something better out there that will come out, so don't waste the opportunity to get the latest technology

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You are paying about $20 a month for a subsidized phone whether you use it of not!! There is no point in holding off. The 5s is worth it for sure. ;)

17. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

There is if you have unlimited data from Verizon . I don't get this $20 a month line for a subsidized phone it makes no sense at all

18. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

I have AT&T and they let you keep your unlimited. I'm not sure how valuable an unlimited plan is on Verizon. If you have a contract plan you are paying about $20 a month to subsidize a new phone, whether you use it or not! If you are paying that every month you should be paying off a phone and not keeping an old, paid for, phone.

19. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Yes but you don't really have unlimited since you are thottled after 5 gigs for the entire next month and how do you come up with this $20 a month subsidized break down ?

20. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I'm sorry I think this is a stupid question.
    "Should I get the best smartphone out right now? Is it worth it?"

21. Fission macrumors regular

Truth. I used to work for sprint.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. It really depends on which carrier you have. For example, ATT will let you upgrade every single year for an upgrade fee of $250 + the $199 new contract price. Meaning you could sell your one year old iphone and buy the current one and almost break even every single year. They only do this for iphones, but it makes upgrading yearly a no brainer if you plan on staying in contact.

----------

b.c they charge you the same amount monthly even after you fulfill your two year contact. Unlimited talk and text with 2 gigs of data is around $95 a month if you are in contract and stays that amount after the contract period on post paid plans with ATT. If you have that same plan but are pre paid it cost you $65 a month.

23. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

$450 discount over 2 years.

24. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

The 16GB iphone retails for $650. When you enter into a new 2 yr contract you get it for $200. The carrier is "recouping" the $450 they fronted you by keeping you in a two year contract. So $450/24 months = $18.75 per month.

That is the cost you pay to get a new phone at the carrier discount. But your carrier doesn't decrease your bill after two years, so if you keep your now 2 yr old phone you are basically paying for a subsidy you never received.

In short, if you have an upgrade use it because you're paying for it either way.

25. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I have always paid full retail price for my devices since if I pay for an upgrade I will lose unlimited unthottled data from Verizon:D good thing that there was a planned promo a couple of weeks ago where I was allowed to upgrade and keep unlimited