Is it worthwhile to replace the thermal paste in my 2012 rMBP, or should I not fix what ain't broke?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Jun 7, 2019.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Apple's factory thermal compound—both the quality and the application—is awful. I feel like my rMBP could seriously benefit from some new Arctic compound on the CPU die (and GPU die, if that's possible).

Is it worthwhile to do, though? The machine technically runs fine, even if it could run cooler with some new paste. What have your experiences been with replacing the thermal paste in MacBook Pros?

—Thanks

P.S. the reason I am considering it is because Slo-jave has started making this computer pretty hot, and I'm sure that it all compromises battery life. If it's not too much trouble to replace the thermal paste, I may give it a shot—even given nothing is technically broken—unless it's more of a risk than it's worth.

2. TianjinMBP macrumors newbie

TianjinMBP

Check out www.ifixit.com They do complete tear-downs of Macs including CPUs replacements. It's a great website for those of us who want to fix it ourselves.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"Is it worthwhile to do, though? The machine technically runs fine, even if it could run cooler with some new paste. What have your experiences been with replacing the thermal paste in MacBook Pros?"

Is this a relatively new MBP that is still under factory warranty or AppleCare?

If you were to do this, I'm sure it would VOID the AppleCare or warranty.

I agree with the premise:
    "If it ain't broke, don't FIX it !"

That is... leave it alone.

4. cynics macrumors G4

I found the thermal paste in my 2013 iMac that encoded video 8 hour a day for 4 years to still be good. A new application didn't have any noticeable effect on temps.

Also keep in mind the heat sinks in Macs can be pretty throughly saturated by the CPU due to there relatively small size. I didn't notice any worthwhile differences in thermal performance between the OEM paste, TG Kryonaut or TG Conductonaut (liquid metal).

There is a bit of an improvement but a lot of times is hard to see it if you didn't have a problem to begin with. As temps go up the fan speeds up. Because of that fan speed is an indicator of better thermal transfer performance. Fortunately for me my iMacs i5 does didn't increase the fan speed from 1200rpm while encoding video. Between the OEM paste and Conductonaut there is maybe 1-2c difference but that is probably just wishful thinking.

I would wait till there is a problem or when you're working on the MB and need to do it.

5. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

It wouldn't hurt to change the paste, though it probably wouldn't help much either, maybe a 2℃ difference as cynics said. Just make sure the fans and heatsink stay clean and free of dust.