Is it worthy to buy a new iPad When already own a macbook air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hxssgaa, Mar 21, 2012.

1. hxssgaa macrumors newbie

I have always been confusing about getting a iPad for a while.I don't know how useful it is when already own a MBA.To me,mac is for programming and college study.I don't always go out,but I really love the stunning display of the new iPad.is it worthy to buy the new iPad just because it gives you a better experience?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pointless question to ask. Decide for yourself. "A better experience" is subjective ; if "a better experience" is worth $399 or more to you, then go ahead and get one.

3. Techwriter macrumors regular

I own both as of last week. I am going to return the iPad 3 and stick with the MBA. I love the iPad, but there are several things which are either awkward to do or which I can't do.

I was positive I wanted mine, and even I think I don't need one. If you're questioning this decision now, you obviously don't think you can't live without one.

Just my two cents!

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I use both and it works out great. They compliment eachother. iCloud is awesome.

5. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I think the iPad 3 was worth it. Already own a Macbook Air for business trips and Mac Pro for office. iPad 3 is definitely more convenient to carry around, it's a good machine, you won't be disappointed.

I don't think iPad 1 or iPad 2 were worth it if you had an Air. But the iPad 3 is superior in my opinion -- because of the sharp screen, clean text, and ability to significantly dim the screen, it's the one backlit device I finally can use as a true e-book reader, pdf reviewer, and quality digital screen to show others schematics and photos.

Note if you have lots of files, the Dropbox app is an absolute must. The iTunes "file" system really sucks, because it's no system at all.

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

For those of you that have an MBA and bought the new iPad, you may consider switching from a MBA to a MBP after playing around with the iPad. The iPad replaces the MBA for lightweight travel and then the MBP becomes your de-facto high power laptop for travel.

7. elmz macrumors regular

For me its like comparing apples to oranges. Sure the MBA is thin and quite small for a laptop, but it's still a laptop, and the iPad is a tablet. My point is, if you're expecting to see if the iPad can replace your laptop, then you're looking at it the wrong way. The iPad fits between a laptop and a smartphone. My iPad will never replace my MBP because it's not as powerful or practical for what I do on it. It will also never replace my iPhone because it's not mobile enough. But when I don't want to hunk around my laptop, e.g. vacations or short trips the iPad is perfect! Especially around the house! My iPad is always an arms reach away.

8. JLee361 macrumors member

I have an iPad 3 and a MBP and love both of them. I use the iPad mostly to watch movies on and when I travel. The MBP I usually use only at home. The ability to sync and share files between the two just make it that much better. For intensive web browsing te MBP is obviously better, but for the most part the iPad gets the job done.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Worth is always subjective. Read up in the countless identical threads for points to ponder if you really have no idea.

10. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

If you insist on only using one device, then the Air gives you more capability.

If you want to have both, use both for what they are good at, then go ahead and get an iPad.

Very few people will argue that an iPad is a full on computer replacement at this point. Both machines have their strengths and weaknesses. I've had a desktop Mac, Mac notebook (Pro, then Air) iPhone and iPad for quite some time and have made use of all of them.

I can say that since upgrading to the new iPad, I am less interested in using my MacBook Air or even my desktop for most lightweight tasks (web browsing, email etc.) The retina display is stunning and does in fact put all other displays to shame.

11. Arid macrumors member

Arid

I too feel the same way. If I hadn't engraved it, I would have returned it. That being said, they are two very different things. I use my 11" MBA most of the time and found the ip3 good for going to light meetings where I don't need to bring out the MBA. I fear my ip3 will sit around much like my iMac with very little use as I'm looking to replace my MBA with another soon. :rolleyes:

12. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I have both and I use both. I definitely use the iPad more out of convenience. My MBA is my digital hub so to speak for syncing, backup, pictures, music and productivity.

13. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I have the 13" MBA and iPad. I use the MBA at home, and it has important documents, photos, etc. But I have the iPad for media viewing, surfing, etc when not at home. Something just freaks me out about taking the air out and about. Might be how thin it is and how much it cost. Plus, I rather keep my data inside my house. When I travel, go camping etc, the iPad comes along.

14. johnc22 macrumors 6502

The iPad is my Internet, Netflix, HBO Go appliance. It sits on the couch and is easy to pick up, check something and put down. I use the Air for real computing and programming.

15. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

What he said.

Also owning both, my 2cents worth, The iPad is NOT a replacement for the MBA. I do know people who only travel with the iPad and bluetooth keyboard but they don't do a lot of heavy work when they travel.

My iPad 3 (and before that the 2 and 1) are my go to devices for entertainment... and I lump web browsing, reading, e-mail, movies into that category. If you can afford the iPad 3 for convenience and entertainment, then you have your answer. If you are looking to boost your productivity, you will be disappointed.

16. macrat macrumors regular

This. In my case, the iPad is used more often than my Air, even at home. :) I take both when traveling.

If money is not a problem, they really compliment each other as others have already mentioned.