Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I treat my iPhone like a baby. Is it wrong to worry about it safety all the time? Is it wrong to not want anyone else to use it? It is just a phone after all.
Just asking to make myself feel less weird about this.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Worrying about its safety and not wanting others to use it is not what I call "treating like a baby"; and that's totally okay, it's an expensive toy.
Now if you tell us your singing lullabies to it to make it sleep and baby-talk to Siri, that would be a problem.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would never leave my phone sitting the crying to be answered!

Munchkinsdad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
after learning that peoples poop is found all over their phones because no one knows how to wash....I wouldn't let anyone touch my phone. But I sure don't baby it. Working in construction, it gets dropped, kicked, slid in sawdust, sand, etc...but...I have the super duper Seidio armor case on it so its virtually indestructible.

Ummm...so I guess maybe it is treated like a baby too...

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
I don't know about saying i treat it like a baby, but i usually don't let other people hold my phone, and if i do, the whole time i'm thinking "ok just give it back now...." lol

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
not unless you have an actual baby, in which case you should give your iPhone to your baby, and then based on your reaction, you can decide which one you want to protect.

Moonflow

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2011
It all started with apple, no one really cares about babying phones back then. Remember when the motorolla razor first came out in the 90s? It was a$1000+ usd and no one cares about babying anything. Same thing with the Nokia 8800 series, and the N95.

By the time your phone is all scratched and dented up, a new one is probably just around the corner.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
It all started with apple, no one really cares about babying phones back then. Remember when the motorolla razor first came out in the 90s? It was a$1000+ usd and no one cares about babying anything. Same thing with the Nokia 8800 series, and the N95.
Not true at all. The cellphone case industry, warranties, shields etc were around for YEARS before the iPhone. The difference being that some of the older clamshell devices didn't actually need protection so cases were more about paranoia and aesthetics than actually ensuring the device doesn't break if it falls off a desk. That can't be said for today's style of phones.

The main reason people talk about protecting their phone more is because of the wide variety of cases available and large screen slab style open face products are more susceptible to cracking when your girlfriend chucks it at a wall.

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I treat my iPhone like a baby.
If you're bottle feeding, changing diapers, etc then yes.

Is it wrong to worry about it safety all the time? Is it wrong to not want anyone else to use it?
That's not treating it like a baby. That's babying it. There's a difference.

There's no right and wrong (despite many others who will tell you you're wrong if you're not doing it their way). Do what works for you and stop worrying about what you're doing or not doing.

It all started with apple, no one really cares about babying phones back then.
No, it did not. Are you also the one that made the ludicrous claim that no one used screen protectors before the iPhone? Apple didn't invent everything despite what you apparently believe.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Whatever floats your boat, however I don't really see the point in being continually worried about how your phone looks. It may be because I don't sell my old phones or have been using electronics long enough to see them as tools to use and not something to hide and sneak around using because I'm afraid a gust of air will destroy it. I mean, the worst thing that will happen is the phone is broken and I have to pay $150 to get it repaired. That sucks, don't get me wrong, but so does viewing a phone as something you need to handle like it's going to explode if someone touches it.

appleamg

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Common guys it's just a phone :confused: . I say - get a life - girlfriend , wife whatever :D and threat her like a baby if you want to . Well to be honest I threat sometimes my C63 like a human so ... :D

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
gotta admit

i gotta admit, i baby my phone like crazy. I figure if im going to spend $200-$300 on a phone, I better keep it in pristine condition.

Moonflow

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2011
No, it did not. Are you also the one that made the ludicrous claim that no one used screen protectors before the iPhone? Apple didn't invent everything despite what you apparently believe.[/QUOTE]

Yes i am and what are you trying to get at? I never said apple invent anything, i'm just saying it started with apple that people are using cases/protections for their devices...

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Yes it is wrong!

Pooring milk down the headphone jack will ruin your device!

Not to mention bathing the thing.... Sheesh..

Last edited:

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Yes, sort of, it's just a phone.

The first couple of weeks that you buy a new electronic device, especially the iPhone, you adore it. You make sure it is in pristine condition, that nothing ever happens to it at all. You're just more aware of it and careful when using and handling it. You make sure every grip is tight and secure so you won't drop the phone. But, that goes away as time goes and you slowly become unaware of your phone like you used to in the beginning. This is when accidents happen.

Although, never let a baby handle your iPhone caseless.

imeth

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011

I treat my iPhone like a baby. Is it wrong to worry about it safety all the time? Is it wrong to not want anyone else to use it? It is just a phone after all.
Just asking to make myself feel less weird about this.

you probably suffer from OCD as well.. but it's normal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.