Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
does itunes ruin the sound quality if an AIFF file is imported and then converted to an AIFF again through iTunes?

Tyler

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
ok guys let me be more specific.

i insert the cd into my mac

I right-click and duplicate the cd and all of its tracks.

I edit some of the AIFF files and some of them, I just leave alone if they are satisfactory for me.

then im ready to add them to itunes

the ones i edit say its bit rate at 1411 and the ones that i don't edit just say unknown and being that im anal I convert the AIFF files ive imported into iTunes AIFF files.

afterwards all the bitrates say 1411 and i have the little itunes icon when i search for the tracks on my hard drive.

Tyler

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
Is the "CD" an audio CD or a data CD with AIFF files burned on it?

If it's an audio CD... just rip the CD first, then edit the files, iTunes will see the changes. If it's a data CD you can edit the audio first... then just drag and drop it into your library... iTunes will make copies and place them in your user directory under "/users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Artist/album/trackname.aif" ;)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: is iTunes destoying my music?

Originally posted by TyleRomeo
does itunes ruin the sound quality if an AIFF file is imported and then converted to an AIFF again through iTunes?

Tyler
If you're talking about AIFF->MP3->AIFF yes it can degrade the sound quality.

There will be less degredation at a higher bitrate.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
the ones i edit say its bit rate at 1411 and the ones that i don't edit just say unknown and being that im anal I convert the AIFF files ive imported into iTunes AIFF files.

i'm still a little confused...

i think what you are trying to say is that you are changing the bitrate on existing AIFF files

if you are ripping them from an audio cd with itunes, you can specify what bitrate they will be in the importing preferences.

what software are you editing these sound files with?

when you are finished, are you just saving the file as was (format and bitrate before editing)? or are you exporting the finished product into AIFF 1411?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
No. You do not lose any quality by converting an AIFF from a CD to an AIFF through iTunes. You also do not lose any quality by importing/exporting audio editing applications (Audacity, Sound Studio, Pro Tools etc.) in AIFF format.

Often when I want to work on editing audio and I am cut short in time I edit straight from the CD and export to AIFF, then reimport the AIFF and continue editing the still perfect quality audio clip.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by King Cobra
No. You do not lose any quality by converting an AIFF from a CD to an AIFF through iTunes. You also do not lose any quality by importing/exporting audio editing applications (Audacity, Sound Studio, Pro Tools etc.) in AIFF format.

Often when I want to work on editing audio and I am cut short in time I edit straight from the CD and export to AIFF, then reimport the AIFF and continue editing the still perfect quality audio clip.

thanks cobra

this is what i thought. i completely understand if i was taking AIFF files and converting them to MP3s and then back to AIFFs i would be an idiot.

as long as the CD file is 16 bit 44.1 and 1411 bitrate and i convert the file into an AIFF with the same settings I shouldn't loose any quality.

It takes ITunes about 4 seconds to covert a Bias Peak AIFF file into an iTunes AIFF file. The time it takes is probably just my hard drive making a duplicate of the file but with the iTunes logo on the file.

No one here edits their music prior to adding it to iTunes?

Tyler

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
nope...why change someone else's hard work making their music sound the way they meant it to sound?

becuase once you buy its yours and you can make it sound anyway you want it to

Tyler

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
becuase once you buy its yours and you can make it sound anyway you want it to

Tyler

Well, if you want to get technical, it's not yours since you don't hold the copyrights. :p

Lethal

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Well, if you want to get technical, it's not yours since you don't hold the copyrights. :p

Lethal

ohh lethal, you know what i mean.

if there is even a tenth of second of silence on a track, then im eliminating it, i like to have every track be personally done to my liking. it may take forever to do that but its worth it.

Tyler

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
---

Hey if you want them to automaticaly play in itunes try itunes associator, it makes iyunes open them by default. Ya can get it on versiontracker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.