Is Ivanka distancing herself from the campaign?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Nov 7, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well that's my point. The damage is already done. Do you really think 2 days before the election, an ad where she extolls her father is going to wreak more havoc? I'm not convinced.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

The point is in the polls. She thinks that her father is going to lose, and she's distancing her brand from a potential failure. Smart business decision.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

To be honest, I didn't know she had a brand before. I would never buy anything with any kind of Trump brand, hers or her fathers.

Is this important in any way?

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

And that's why she's the smartest Trump out of all of them. ;) In all seriousness - while I don't agree with everything she says, Ivanka is a smart woman.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

She's definitely smart.

8. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Please define smart. Smart as in clever, yes I'd agree (although I'd also say that Trump is a really clever guy).

But smart as in actually intelligent? Dunno, she married THAT guy.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I think she's intellectually smart. Well spoken and despite everything - has a decent head on her shoulders. At least she presents herself that way. Honestly, if you look at all of Trump's surrogates and Trump himself, Ivanka comes off as the only logical and sane one.

11. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

That may be so but look at her husband and the people around her and I can't think of her being that intelligent. "Show me your friends and I tell you who you are" applies imo.

But smart (in its derogatory sense): I'd agree. But then again, the whole Trump clan seems smart to me - otherwise we wouldn't be talking about them all the time (= exactly what they want us to do) + he would never would have come so far. To think that Trump isn't smart is the first mistake - one that's made way too often IMO. Also regarding most of the other emerging extreme right-wing movements across the world.

But back to her: never heard her talk at all, not even that one speech she was biting from Michelle, so can't say much more about taht except that she's a trained model: appearance is everything and when they're good one actually believes they actually care about the brand they're representing.

12. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Exactly.
    As if she would have any business at all if her father wasn't Donald Trump and they don't depend on her small business anyway.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

We're talking about Ivanka, not Melania.

14. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Oops.

Anyway, she is/was (heavily) involved in this campaign - that doesn't strike me as a very intelligent thing to do, so merely smart seems like the appropriate choice.
    Note that there is a distinction to be made here, which I am not sure how to express properly in English. Smart = clever but not in the sense of understanding or wise. Merely thoughtful about ones own advantage.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ivanka wasn't as involved in the campaign as Junior and Eric were. Ivanka was used mainly to assuage white educated women that Trump wasn't the out and out bigot that he is. Clearly, that didn't work.

16. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Is that pointed at me? Because yes, she seems smarter than those dudes (not that hard though, she too has the look while those two...) - I'd say that other daughter of his that is even less involved and openly rejected his hug at the latest debate is even smarter. But that doesn't excuse being involved in a campaign that hideous - even family ties have boundaries. If your father is a misogynistic, racist homophobic in clown shoes and a huge tin foil hat you have to call him out, not getting so-so involved in his campaign.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That' guy being?

18. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Donald Trump. I obviously thought she married her own father.

But also see 4+5 posts above.

19. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I thought Ivanka has that "inner Trump" spirit to "choo choo" on.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I can't imagine how you would make that mistake! :D

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You mean Ivanka Kushner? Who wants in on the pool for when she changes her name now that her father thoroughly destroyed it over the last 18 months?

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It won't. Trump will still be known as a bigot worldwide.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yup. The "Trump" brand is toast. Places everywhere have already been trying to distance themselves.

24. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Ivanka's brand is targeted at the very people who despise Trump the most: educated women.

Her brand is dead. Just like her inheritance is: Trump's only surviving successful brands are aimed at upper middle class wealthy people: he's a laughing stock amongst them. Have you read the reports of people trying to sell Trump apartments? They're not selling at 40% off. The DC hotel is half empty at 80% off.

His house of cards finances are collapsing, and given he's reported less than $100m in liquidity and about $4b in debt... it's going to be messy.

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide