Is January 2012 too late to purchase a (late '11) Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Totty1987, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Totty1987 macrumors regular

I'm pretty much set to purchase a new laptop early next year, but with the impending refresh of MBP line, is January too late to purchase the current models.

Basically I don't want to spend so much and then Apple updates the MBP line 2-3 months after.

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

It's probably going to come out in March or later.

3. happle macrumors 6502a

i doubt its gonna be in march. probably will be in the summer.

if you like the design now, but now. the new design is probably not going to have an optical drive, which means no optical drive or the opportunity to swap the optical drive for an SSD + HD combo. also to justify buying the current model, you might tell yourself its risky to buy a 1st gen redesign. i usually try and wait untilthe 2nd or 3rd generation of a design, that way they work all the bugs out.

4. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Nobody has any idea when the refresh will come out.

5. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

Can we do that? remove the optical drive and add a hard drive?

Agree. I would buy a mature model. People purchased and used/tested it. And a mature model is always a bit cheaper than a brand new model.

6. happle macrumors 6502a

yup most people put an SSD in the main drive bay and add another HDD to the optical bay. then you can get a optical drive enclosure thats the same style as the MBP on ebay, just incase you need the optical drive on occasion.