Is Libya an October Surprise?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by myrtlebee, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Supposedly Obama almost getting divorced in 2000 is Donald Trumps big surprise set for Wednesday via Twitter ..

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This is such a media-manufactured non-story. All that article says is that Obama waited for all of the facts before detailing what happened at the embassy. God forbid we have someone who wants to be rational and make sure we have all the facts correct before we start tossing blame around.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Plus the fact that a claim of responsibility means nothing. Anyone can claim responsibility. IIRC, several terrorist groups claimed responsibility on 9/11. Hell, I bet they were claiming responsibility for the Oklahoma City bombing. These animals don't pass up a chance to take credit for the death of Americans.

Sounds like a non story, and if Mitt were smart, he would not make these last two weeks about foreign policy given how bad he did last night. Does he really want his gaffes, flip flops and incorrect statements being brought up?

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Great timing...after all those early voters have already voted!!! That'll show 'em! Personally, I'm still waiting for the bombshell that trump teased when he said "you won't believe what my investigators in Hawaii found". Never did hear. Probably because there were no investigators in the first place!!!

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I remember a WWII movie, when the Nazis were finally losing.

Hitler was ranting "I have a weapon in mind. I have a weapon in mind!!" :rolleyes:

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From your source ...

And my question is, "so what?"

Was Obama supposed to rush out and announce to the world that someone took claim for the attack?

What purpose would that have served?

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The thing that gets lost in all of this is that there were protests all over the middle east that were related to that stupid video. The constant attention paid by the White House to that issue saw the tensions related to that slowly decrease. It is entirely possible that the media, and yes, the public, was manipulated in order to defuse what could have been a bigger problem. We just don't know.

Why would the GOP be so insistent on pursuing this when the degree of lies and manipulation we endured for 8 years was literally criminal. At worst, this was a minor deception that arguably was for political gain.

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

The Obama administration was completely out of control on the security requests from the Embassy, and on jumping on the media story about movie protestors instead of the facts.

The fact that the Obama Apologists on this forum refuse to acknowledge this is just proof of how biased and blinded by this president you really are.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The State department received security requests, but we at this point don't know why they were denied, or even if they related to this "consulate." Keep in mind that this may have been a clandestine location which would not benefit from having a marine contingency at the front door. Even if the consulate might have benefitted from more security, and that security was requested, there has been no indication as to why it was denied. If it was a balance between funding and security, you might want to ask who cut state department security funding. (Hint, it was the GOP).

Mitt Romney said it best, "It’s very easy, it is extraordinarily easy to point fingers and say, ‘Why, this part of government knew this and it didn’t tell that part.’ And, ‘These people here haven’t learned that.’ Well, the reason those barriers exist is for legitimate purpose in a world that was pre-September 11th. And judging our intelligence by post- September 11th conditions is something we have to do carefully. We do that to help us get better, and to the extent we find criticism in the kind of work that I’ve had to do and others are doing, it should be focused on how we can make ourselves more effective in the post-9/11 world. But trying to judge what happened pre-9/11 by post-9/11 knowledge is probably not terribly fruitful."

I wonder why that doesn't apply now? :rolleyes:

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Claimed credit" has always bothered me in these cases. Like it's some kind of ****ing prize!!

"Accepted responsibility" is much better. Like there might be some eventual pay-back.

Sorry, please continue.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If anyone doubted that Romney and the GOP are doing this solely for political gain, please read on:

Both from ThinkProgress (but you can link to the actual quotes)

13. zioxide, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Security at embassies is handled by the state department, not the white house.

President Obama never claimed this attack in Benghazi was a result of the video. This is fact. You continuously repeating the fallacy that he did shows how clueless you are.

You really want a President who jumps to a response with a blindfold on before waiting for all of the facts?

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of legitimate reasons why someone would dislike Obama, but this whole argument over Libya is worse than the birthers. Nice job turning the tragic deaths of four Americans into a political **** storm. That's real presidential and patriotic, Romney. But, why would you expect anything different from a guy who dodged the draft and went to France to hide during a war he supported?

The Republican party is no better than these "terrorists" they want to fight against.

This is comedy gold coming from someone supporting a candidate who's done a 900 degree spin on nearly every single issue in the election over the past few months. And you say we're the BLIND ones? hahaha

14. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger, bolder headline on Fox's homepage:

[​IMG]

15. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

16. zioxide, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Both the articles about this "controversy" on their website look like a 6th grader wrote them. Do they have a single person on their journalism staff who actually has a college degree?

This is not even mentioned on a single credible news agency's website. That shows how looney this crap is.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, but that's a problem requiring a separate discussion. :p

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Denial, denial, denial, Keep going. Less then 2 weeks to go.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry- what does this have to do with anything?

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

cover-up (noun): an attempt to prevent people's discovering the truth about a serious mistake or crime.

Still waiting for that article from a credible source detailing how the Obama administration deliberately attempted to mislead people as to what happened there.

I mean, ****, this is from one of the articles you linked above:

Waiting for investigators to get all of the facts straight before releasing an official account of an event isn't a "cover-up", it's common sense.

Are you even able to discern the difference between the Attack on the US embassy in Benghazi and the Reactions to the Innocence of Muslims video?

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What? Are you serious? They're trying to call this a cover-up? OMG, our education system IS truly screwed up.

22. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Nevermind. Misinterpreted your asking for a "credible" source about cover up opposed to emails in general.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

apparently.

24. edk99 macrumors 6502a

This is becoming comical with you Obama lovers. As more and more leaks out about is terrorist attack it is pretty clear that the last thing this administration wants is this to be front page news. They can barely come out and call this a terrorist attack and heaven forbid if they link it to any radical islamic group. Just funny that a few weeks ago Hillary comes out and takes responsibility which seemed to deflate this balloon a little then she fades back into her hole. Now as more information is known that this administration had a LOT more information then was lead to believe the notion of this being anything close to a mob protest then a coordinated attack makes their delayed response nothing short of a political coverup especially this close to the election. But go ahead and continue to play it off as not creditable or insignificant. In less then 2 weeks judgment will be served on this failed administration.