Is Lion any good compared to SL? Will I be able to restore my backups?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DDar, Oct 10, 2011.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Hey everyone. I've been thinking about switching to OSX Lion since I really want to be able to use iCloud when I get my iPhone 4S.

My main questions here are:

-How does Lion compare to SL performance-wise? I use a lot of photoshop so that's a big deal for me. Especially since I'm running on one of the 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo 17'' MBPs (so my machine is already rather old.)

-Have the battery issues been fixed?

-Will I be able to restore my data from my SL Time Machine backups? This is actually really important since I've got so much stuff to port over...

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

I use a 15" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo MBP and have only noticed a marginal dip in performance, that is until I added an Vertex II SSD and 8GB or RAM.
    Lion will also feature iCloud, which will pair with your new iPhone well.

3. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I don't how important your backups are (I only care about my most current one) but... You could take that TM drive, reformat it and put a copy of Lion on it just to answer your questions. Yes, you'll be without a backup for a day or so until you decide.

Or... just take this opportunity to get another external drive to hold your "test" copy of Lion while you migrate things over. Then, clone it back to your mac if you're satisfied.

Insanely cheap these days and it's not like you'll never use it.

And if iCloud is the compelling reason for you to upgrade, I'd wait just a few more days to see if SL will be updated to accommodate it.

4. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Didn't Apple already say Lion would be required for iCloud?

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

6. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Well I hope they bring it to SL. But I'll still be stuck if they don't allow the photostream feature (which is what I personally REALLY want!)