is lion really that big of a deal?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by icrude, Jul 19, 2011.

1. icrude macrumors regular

like the system is pretty much the same isnt it, besides multi finger gestures (big freakin deal, my 4 year old macbook pro already has it), and little stuff like mission control and that stuff. Other than that is it really worth the upgrade and all the hassles?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

For $29 only you can decide if it is worth it to you or not.

3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

For some people it is, some people its not. Only you can decide whats best for yourself

4. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Mate, indeed..

1. You pay US$29 or what ever
    2. You press download and then
    3. You wait 20 min
    4. You install

My god... Terrible I know.. A hassle after a hassle..

No.. It is not worth such terrible hassles...

Here is an educational article for you...

5. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Give it a couple weeks OP, read the reviews and look at MR lion rage (or lack of), and then decide yourself!

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I agree with this dude. I'm going to install as I get it for free and it seems to be very interesting (new gestures!). Anyways, who wouldn't want the king of the jungle on their computer?

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I use mail a lot. I think $29 is worth the price of Mail for me for the new features. I never liked Spaces but the concept was good. I hope this new Mission Control thing is better. The most dorky feature is the Launchpad feature but I have tons of apps on my Mac and it might be kinda nice compared to hunting for them on the dock or the Applications folder when I can't remember the exact name.

I suggest for you that you wait and let the early adopters test it out for you.

8. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Yes, the cost of the upgrade is reasonable and the amount of effort to complete the upgrade is modest. However, those aren't the only potential hassles with upgrading your operating system. Any OS upgrade is likely to involve some compatibility issues with applications or peripherals.

So, yes, upgrading your OS can be quite the hassle.

9. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Wouldn't get your hopes up on Launchpad, its pretty terrible as it is atm.

From what I can gather a lot of GM and beta testers hated it as well.

Would have been so much better if it was integrated into the actual desktop like it is in iOS.

10. beg_ne macrumors 6502

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to give Ars credit. They really go indepth on their reviews.

12. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

It's really interesting what you read in that article.

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I am amazed by the number of people saying that the price alone is a reason to buy. Would you buy a can of air for £29 as well?

Surely there are better justifications than the price.

14. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I have no interest in lion tbh. I've only had my iMac for less than a year, and I'm still getting to grips with SL and still loving it! From what I can see (on the surface) it's upgraded things I don't use or want, and I won't get the full benefit of the gestures as I don't have, nor do I want, a track pad. I'm yet to read any really positive reviews or reasons to upgrade yet. I know it's cheap as hell but that's not the point.

15. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

16. meelash macrumors member

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Yes, I agree. The best thing so far was dragging the Applications folder to my Dock. But I'll play with it few more days before I give up on it. I was glad to see how many apps I could organize into 2 screens though.

Still trying to get use to the new Expose / Spaces feature. I liked the 10.5 Expose the best but this new way isn't awful--just better for low and medium multitasking.

18. ehoui macrumors regular

If you were on moon, running out of air, well, you'd gladly pay for that can of air...

That being said, whether $29 is "worth it" or not depends on what makes you happy. If you enjoy exploring new features, which there are many, then $29 is pretty cheap. If you think computers are purely functional, then wait and see what everyone else says.

The pundits (on here and other places) are only grinding their own axes and will share no helpful advice that doesn't serve their own mindset.

For me (I just upgraded), Lion is "worth it" so far. I enjoy the full screen feature; I enjoy being on the bleeding edge (problems or not); and most importantly the Finder and iTunes are better. $29 is wasted on more trivial crap everyday, I'm happy to "waste" it on something that gives me a little more productivity, even for personal use.

19. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Dammit!! I caved and bought it! I am literally powerless against buying Apple products!

I'm going to have to do more reading up on it, as so far I'm seeing very little changes outside the obvious (launch pad, mission control, full screen)

20. UKBeast macrumors 6502

launch pad is terrible and useless, jobs should understand that this is not ios and i want a seperate dedicated os for my mbp and i hate touchscreen, i dont understand why he is trying to make everthing touch compatible.

Then again, i liked new finder, mail app, ichat 6 and full screen feature

21. artguy3d macrumors member

Think I will wipe the drive and go back to Snow Leopard.

Pretty unimpressed, don't like the new scrolling (even it you change it back it is different somewhat), bunch of applications don't work now, such as all my MS office apps, Coreldraw, Expression, Palm, Parallels - so the entire virtual PC is down and all PC programs.

I know I could upgrade some of these and get them going, but then there is the cost of doing that. Haven't even tried to use old printer drivers yet, but that is likely a bust. I thinking mostly the operating system has just been dumbed-down.

Don't really like the new mail interface.

Oh well - many will like this upgrade, but if you have a lot of software from over the years, be very careful...

22. UKBeast macrumors 6502

sooner or later they will make it compatible with lion, i think i will stay with lion. I am not software hungry user. All i need is basic apps with great performance, too many softwares are junk nowadays. I will disable launch pad and restore software feature and enjoy new mail, better safari, 64bit itunes and full screen iphoto and safari.

23. Thrilledge macrumors regular

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself not to do it

24. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    this sounds a tad condescending to me :rolleyes:

25. UKBeast macrumors 6502

lion has got some drawbacks but overall lion is better and will be more stable. And also it will get more support from apple side. Just some improvements are unecessary because steve's effort to make it similar to ios.