is LTE different from 4G as 4G is different from 3G? different spectrums? THANKS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pixelchild, Sep 27, 2012.

1. pixelchild macrumors member

hi. thanks for reading this.

i just received an iPhone 5 ATT.

I have an issue. On my 4s, i had great reception at work on 4G.

Now that I have LTE enabled on my iphone 5, it get 1 bar, sometimes NONE at work. Is there no seamless connection between LTE and 4G in that if my phone has bad LTE signal it will automatically hop to 4G?

if i turn off LTE enable at work, i get 4g and it works fine.

do these all work on different spectrums? by having 4g doesn't gaurantee me reception if i have LTE enabled?

2. Daniel L macrumors 6502

LTE is on a different spectrum than the "4G" the phone shows. The "4G" is on the same spectrum as 3G. The phone should seamlessly switch to 4G if the LTE signal is really bad and it should switch to 4G any time you make or receive a call.

3. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

I remember on the iPhone 4 if you weren't getting a good 3G signal you could go to settings and disable 3G since 2G edge was more ubiquitous.

The same principle is in play here. 3G is deployed in more places than LTE. If your phone is struggling to keep LTE signal in your area simply turn it off for the moment and stick with 3G for better signal.

4. pixelchild thread starter macrumors member

thank you for the replies. so then i am not the only person with this issue? i am in the heart of center city philadelphia and am saddened that LTE is not really everywhere here. :(

i guess i will be going into settings and turning off LTE every morning at work.

5. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

LTE is also more subject to building interference (penetration issues) than 3g/4g. That can contribute to issues you may be having even when there IS LTE in your particular area.

6. pixelchild thread starter macrumors member

^ thanks that would explain a lot here. i work on the 35th floor too.

7. 4gwifi macrumors newbie

4G News is a great site for keeping up to date with the latest in 4G.
    Also you can follow on Facebook :)