Is Mac getting out of the laptop business

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by paddler40, Feb 5, 2010.

1. paddler40 macrumors member

Is Apple getting out of laptop? A company that is supposed to be an industry leader is way behind in technology with Mac Pro. I was wanting to buy a Mac Pro knowing the cost is more but getting a better quality product. How can someone justify buying a Mac Pro with specs so much inferior to Dell, HP, and yes ACER.
    http://www.acer.ca/acer/product.do?...8e.c2att101=-1&CRC=2759084358#wrAjaxHistory=0

Apple appears to have put laptops on the back-shelf.

2. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

you mean the macBOOK Pro? No apple is not neglecting them, you forget that OSX is not as resource demanding as WIN 7 or Vista. Also, macs have other features that those laptops might not, backlit keyboard, multitouch trackpad, unibody enclosure, ambient light sensor, hard drive accelerometers, HD Screens, ect...

3. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

Apple sells more laptops than any other computer in their offerings, and they are very focused on them. Jobs said Apple is a "mobile device company", which means laptops as well as ipods etc.

4. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

5. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Because it has an :apple: logo on it. Duh.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Worst troll post ever. FAIL!

7. Zyniker macrumors 6502

+1

Blisteringly stupid thread.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

9. aibo macrumors 6502

I lol'd.

Isn't the tablet a sign that Apple is trying to move away from their laptop business? :confused:

10. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

No. As Jobs' said, they are a MOBILE DEVICE company. So that includes iPods, iPads, iPhones, notebooks.

11. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

My favorite is how people are offended regardless of the OP's ridiculousness. :rolleyes:

12. cmaier macrumors G3

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Especially when you consider it's in the Mac Pro section. :p

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Interesting troll, to say the least. His post history indicates he most certainly knows the distinction between what a "Mac Pro" and a "Macbook Pro" is as he has history in the MBP forum and has even used the acronym "MBP". :confused:

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A little food for the OP:

Apple is definitely getting out of the laptop business, as they did all they can do.
    The iPad will replace all current Mac computers over time, and I think the Mac Mini will be the last to go, as Apple has invested a lot of time into this device and updates it regularly every six to 18 months.

And I really hope that Apple leaves the computer sector altogether and concentrates more on its online services and its OS and even makes Mac OS X available for non-Apple computers as that has proven to be one of the best decisions in the 90s, but Steve Jobs took it all away when he returned. What a wuss.

I mean, I rather want to have a Toshiba laptop with lots of ports, especially the VGA port, which is the future in every respect, and it should run Mac OS X without a hassle, like Windows does.

Thanks OP for having the bravery to post something unique, and don't let those other members irritate you for calling you names and such.

A Mac Pro is the most stupid laptop ever, no wonder Apple is leaving the notebook market, they don't even sell those in huge numbers like Microsoft does, which is the biggest computer hardware seller by the way.

Good night and smeg off.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I wouldn't think so.

The laptop is one product as is the iPhone. The iPad kind of finds a middle ground between the two but in no way means the end of either as far as Apple continuing with them.

Apple can make all three products and survive, but it seems fairly obvious from the sour reception on Macrumors and the press that iPad is not going to trump the Macbook line or the iPhone line.

But iPad does fill a small niche much like my Mac mini does, and I love my Mac mini.

Now if some future iPad had all the software and capabilities of a Macbook and Macbook Pro, then yes, Apple would be getting out of the traditional laptop business and maybe going all touchscreen vs. hard keys.

But realize by then, this product would be the next generation of the laptop, and all companies would be on board.

I remember early laptops that weighed 20+ plus pounds and had only one color screens. Those dinosaurs are forever dead.

17. smacman macrumors 6502

I'm trying to use my Mac Pro on my lap but it hurts.. Would an Acer be better?

18. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

:D Just wait until the Mac Pro Air :cool:

19. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

I just pictured taking a Mac Pro out of an envelope lmao....

20. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

LOL

+1