Is .Mac server currently out/slow?

yamadataro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I'm trying to access www.mac.com, and it keeps giving me an error message or a super slow access.

"Gateway Timeout / Server unreachable."

I'm accessing it from Japan. Is that the reason? Anybody see the same error?
I'm just wondering if Apple is updating the server to release new .Mac services, since there was the iSync and iCal updates.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
same issue here, the .mac mail server is not affected though. could be an update, probably not though.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
...it's 19:30 in switzerland and for about 2 hours i try to access .mac

hmmm... i think they have some big trouble...
i think i'll contact the administrator :)

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 250

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
.Mac is down routinely. I try to go to somebody's .mac, I literally have to wait 2 minutes while it sends the request and then it loads verrryyy slowly. Then when I click to download some maps for a game. It goes @ 50k. Sometimes I can't even get the page to load. I try all by browsers to make sure it's not me. I am extremely happy that I did not fork out for a pathetic excuse for a service.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
My Mail account wasn't able to send mail for almost a day and a half this week. Kept getting a message that said that smtp.mail.mac.com was not available. Finally it started sending mail around noon today. Grrrrr...

Hope things get better before it's time to resubscribe.

Regards,
Gus

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
Perhaps that's because it's smtp.mac.com and not smtp.mail.mac.com.

Or maybe you just typed it wrong in your post. Just trying to be helpful. :)

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
.mac slow as death

yeah, last night i finally ripped open my .mac subscription to set it up, giddy as a schoolgirl who's had way too much pot (i.e. not very excited - it was 12 AM) and so i went to mac.com/activate/... and sat there for minutes as one page loaded. Backup was unusable, taking a couple minutes to back up 50K. And i have a cable connection in the middle of nowhere... it isn't like my neighbors are takin the bandwidth... ah well... hopefully new features at SF! It's quite plausible, since they are going for innovation and stuff. .Mac could use some innovation if it's going to survive.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by richard5mith
Perhaps that's because it's smtp.mac.com and not smtp.mail.mac.com.

Or maybe you just typed it wrong in your post. Just trying to be helpful. :)

Yeah that is what I meant. I have it right on the machine, just not in my head. :p

Good thing I have the machine, huh?

Regards,
Gus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.