Is Mac version of MS Office is incompatible with MS Office for Windows ..??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by asifnaz, Jan 2, 2011.

1. asifnaz macrumors member

Somebody told me that Mac version of MS Office is incompatible with MS Office for Windows .

How true it is .

thnx

2. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

On a scale from 0 (not compatible) to 10 (compatible) it is about 9,7. Only some hardcore Excel functions and formulas generate errors, and the Powerpoint presentations may have some layout issues due to different fonts. Nothing really important.

3. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

If you mean, "Can I install a Office for Mac Upgrade onto a PC," then no, it will not work.

If you mean, "Is an Excel/Word/PowerPoint file saved in one version readable and editable by the other version," then yes, they are absolutely compatible - that is the whole point. I send files back and forth between work (PC, Office 2007) and home (Mac, Office 2008) all the time.

4. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

Yes I meant that . what about later versions of MS Office . Do you use MS office at official level ? . I have seen many people complaining that MS office is even not compatible even within itself (mac & windows version )

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You cannot open later version files with earlier version programs unless they are saved in compatibility mode

For instance, create a PPT in Office 2007 and Office 2003 can't open it unless you save it in a compatibility format

So, yes, there can be challenges within Windows itself and between Windows and Mac, but they typically can be overcome

Perhaps it would be easier to address a specific question you have about compatibility than something general. What specific versions and platforms and programs/applications are you looking at?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This.

Office still suffers from many internal incompatibilities staying within the same platform and even version. You can take a document that is formatted perfectly and send it to someone else and because of printer driver and patch level differences the page numbering can get all screwed up and figures and tables can even go missing.

Office compatibility is of the "good enough" variety

B

7. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

I have just started using MS Office 2011 for Mac . My word files become a mess in win ms office 2007(my Boss' PC) . Same with PP presentations

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Have you tried saving your Word docs as "Word 97-2004 Document (.doc)"

9. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Yeah I would try to change the file type to .doc. Those will open in any version of office I have tried it on and even opens in free word processors like Open Office and Google Docs.

10. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

Thank you . It woked .