is Macbook Air 11" i%-1.4-128GB good for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sanooya, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Sanooya macrumors member

Hi

I've been planning to get a laptop from MAC fro long time ago now.

I'm a photographer & a blogger, I will mainly use it to edit the pictures, & manage my blog.

basically nothing else, I do almost everything else in my iPhone.. emails, surfing the net, online shopping, etc.

I'm also not planning to store most of the images in an external drive.

I've Mac Book Air in Mind

smaller is better for me, since I tend to carry so many things!

Laptop, Camera, iPad, 2 iPhones, chargers, handbag.. etc :D

I can get the basic MBA for very good installments for 18 months

- Dual Core i5 Processor
    - 1.4 GHz Processor Speed
    - 4 GB System Memory
    - 128GB Hard Drive

People keep telling me to go for the MBP 2.5 (13.3"), it is also available for very good installments rate.

but as I said.. I like the size of the Air better!

unfortunately I can't get the device updated like if I will buy it from Apple directly!

What do you think??

and can I upgrade the Hard Drive later on?? like buy the part through Apple or something...

2. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

If you want to edit photos i would up the memory to 8gb
    I am using a mid 2013 mba 11" 4gb\\128 and for what I do with this laptop it works for me! You can also upgrade the hard drive but thats pretty much all you can upgrade. it will have to be a pcie ssd

3. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

You want to get a laptop from Apple, not MAC. I think for blogging and light photo editing the MacBook Air will be fine. Other World Computing sells SSD upgrades for the MacBook Air.

4. Sanooya thread starter macrumors member

Sorry :D typing fast and mixed up.

Thanks

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I am thinking of picking up an 11 MBA as well. I have a 13 retina currently, but something about the 11 is appealing to me. I see you have both the 13 and 11 inch air in your signature. Do you find the 11 inch display to be too small compared to the 13, or is it big enough for basic stuff?

6. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

Oh the 13" mba is my wife's lol the 11 inch is something you need to get used to sometimes i see myself leaning towards the screen but for basic stuff i would go the 11inch. If you can you should go to the apple store and test it out yourself. i have no regrets of my purchase :cool:

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Thanks! I have been doing most of my work from home lately on a couch lol. The 13 retina is small, but it still feels bulky when typing while lounging. I know that is not the proper way to work but it's what I do! I am thinking the 11 would be the perfect couch computer for typing an essay or watching a movie. Is that a fair assumption?

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you use Aperture/Photoshop, 4GB of RAM is pushing it a bit IMO.

Plus - although the 11" is nice and portable, the screen on the 11 isn't really that great when it comes to editing photos. IMO you'd be *much* better with the 13" retina.

9. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

if writing an essay and watching movies than the 11" is just for you! lol

10. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Agreed, I went by and played with one on my lunch break and I'm about ready to pull the trigger. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

11. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

no problem! so did you pull the trigger yet? lol

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Not yet, I had to work late but it may have actually worked out better since my local craigslist just had one pop up this evening for 650. A 2014 model. Meeting him in the A.M to have a look at it!

13. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

nice! thats a good price I purchased a mid 2013 mba i5 1.3//4gb//128ssd for $680

14. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

A disappointing meeting indeed. The guy claimed that it was a "like new, 2014 model." It turned out to be pretty beat up and not only that, when I went into the about this mac section, it was a 2012! I asked him why he lied and he kind of stuttered and then said "uh, my uncle bought it for me this year, doesn't that mean it's a 2014?"

Not sure if he was just playing dumb, or being deceitful but at any rate I walked.

Probably going to just get the 2014 model from Best Buy.

15. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

damn that sucks! well that's craigslist for you. If they were truthful they would have posted screen shots with the "about this mac"
    I mean theres really no difference in the 2013 and the 2014 and for the specs your seek for, its not much of a price difference but it never hurts saving a little bit of money. I would have been bummed out lol