Is MacBook Air 2010 capable of running XP out of the box now?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Jan 13, 2011.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. On the internet, I read that bootcamp for the new MacBook Air 2010 models does not support Windows XP. However, people at the Apple Store told me that it does and all the drivers are included. Is this true? Anybody succeed in running XP using the drivers which came with the machine? Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

They are wrong. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4410

B

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the info. Two guys working at the Apple Store in Japan told me that now Bootcamp includes all the XP drivers for MBA 2010. I guess they had no idea what they were talking about.

4. freezerx, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

freezerx macrumors newbie

I kinda all if not everything then most of the hardware working.

You will need a few things.

Bootcamp 3.1 you will need a copy from someone,
    download bootcamp from apple for the macbook air and burn it. download it from bootcamp.
    Nvidia drivers.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/to...indows-xp-macbook-air-geforce-320m-late-2010/

grab it from there.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Install_Windows_XP_on_2010_MacBook_Air

What I did was that I installed bootcamp 3.1 first. it will crap out at machal drivers.

You will be be working but not 100%.
    Then grab the nvidia drivers 260.89/99 manual install with modded inf. Go to your unknown device in hardware manager, update drivers, install from location.

I'm not sure where I grabbed it but it was off a google link.

Next is to go to the drivers\apple\drivers folder

install the bluetooth files, multitrackpad files, isight, keyboard via the exe files. reboot

At this point you should fully functional MBA.

All keys work, multipoint touch/right click works, bootcamp app will see trackpad and f-keys. You can update bootcamp too hahahha.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you very much for the detailed steps. I went to the Apple Store again. This time, the staff also told me that XP works 100% out of the box. I told him what I learned from macrumors. He showed me a site (from Apple) which supported his claim. I cannot find it myself. I will go to the store in the near future. I will ask him the link and post it.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Please do! The fact that freezerx and many others have to go to such lengths to get it installed seems more consistent with the link I posted. Not officially supported.

B

7. anand.rohira macrumors newbie

Hajime, did you get the link ?

hajime, did you get the link , form the apple store, where it says, you can install windows xp on MBA ?
    PLS DO POST IT.......