Is man-made global warming truly settled?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Aug 10, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

What are your thoughts personally? Are these 700 scientists complete loons? Is the science not yet proven? Has Earth actually been cooling for a few years? Are you 100% sure we're causing global warming, or just 95%?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

To be honest, very few here are capable of understanding or refuting this or that, as it's complex science. But when it comes to pitching my tent, I'd rather go with NASA and the majority, than a small minority of scientists, many of whom seem to commenting outside their field.

Regardless, the Pentagon is taking the issue extremely seriously, putting it as a matter of national security.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/science/earth/09climate.html?hp

The consequences of not doing anything about it aren't something to be dragging heels about, in my opinion.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I think that the 6 billion people can have an effect on the environment, I don't believe it is as bad as Al Gore thinks it is.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I love it. All those "scientists" and naysayers will be gasping for breath from all the pollution that they say doesn't cause global warming.

We can either lessen pollution now, or face mass human extinction in the future. Which do you want?

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I don't believe we're all doomed to hell and should start revolutions and whatnot, but I've always been a firm believer in trying to reduce our impact as much as possible. But the thing is, the environmental alternative has to be better for people to care about them. That's where the problem lies today. Hybrid cars are a fluke with batteries more dangerous than most we know of today, and biodiesel kills people because farmers convert their food farms for the money.

If we want to "save the world" (which is a stupid expression anyway), we gotta work on technology and making our lives _better_, not worse.

6. remmy macrumors 6502a

It makes it harder to agree if there is or isnt globla warming, lots of scientists saying different things does not help, but we cannot be sure its not happening either.

But global warming is just one problem. If you decide that there is not global warming there is still the chance you will be effected by poor air quality, poor management of resources and food.

I have noticed in London that the air quality has begun to improve, I would hate for it to go back to the way it was.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Specifically with regard to global warmingI'm also skeptical. The earth has a long history of warming and cooling long before we were on the scene. However, there are plenty of other reasons to reduce air pollution.

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I'm well and truly on the fence. Too much by the way of politics and industry pushing the climiate change vehicle now to trust an opinion either way and I know from my experience in another area of science that studies are heavily doctored in favour of the agenda of the industry backing it.

Warming/Cooling is bad either way, but one thing's for sure, the planet isn't staying the same and the reason might not be what we think it is..

9. Shivetya macrumors 65816

As long as there is money to be made there will always be man made global warming. Look at it this way, if it were such a threat wouldn't the people espousing this idea spread the message in the least damaging means they could?

Follow the money. Mother nature doesn't get paid but she can whoop our asses in any gas production or temperature shift. One good volcano or hurricane has more measurable effect than we.

10. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Happened upon this link today as well... thought it would be relevant to the conversation.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/52828402.html
    [​IMG]

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Biodiesel can come from many sources, and doesn't have to compete with food for farmland.

13. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

It will have to. We need all the space we can get to grow food. Fuel should come from elsewhere.

I hope we can make Helium the next big thing. Until we find out that's killing the planet too.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, the problem is that the corn lobby has made it near impossible for anything to compete against it. Also, the drop-in nature of the fuel is still questionable, algae has shown testing success in planes, so has canola and palm oil. The other concerning thing is that there has been numerous questionings of the effects of ethanol on engines, particularly concerning the study that was done with small engine machines.

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Destroying engines.

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/may2009/bw20090514_058678.htm

On Jan. 16 of this year, Lexus ordered a massive recall of certain 2006 to 2008 models, including the GS Series, IS and LS sedans. According to the recall notice, the problem is that "Ethanol fuels with low moisture content will corrode the internal surface of the fuel rails." In layman's terms, ethanol causes pinpoint leaks in the fuel system; when leaking fuel catches your engine on fire, that's an exciting way to have your insurance company buy your Lexus.

A pretty good and critical review of ethanol. Mr. Ed Wallace (writer) seems to have done some research.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Carbon dioxide emissions and pollution are not the same thing. Of course it is a good thing to reduce pollution, but that has little bearing on carbon dioxide or global warming, about which I remain unconvinced.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This isn't really the case. The problem is that there's generally an extremely poor level of science literacy amongst the general public. This is something that makes it very easy for ideologically driven people to spread disinformation (see below). This is especially prevalent in something like climate science for which the ramifications encroach on political grounds. The vast majority that know the science are convinced by it as it stands.

Another problem is that within any scientific field there will be scientists that have different ideas and different interpretations of data. For instance quantum theory - the consensus on it is really shattered amongst scientists. But there will never be people public interest in debating the validity of it. They might also currently have different interpretations of data or have hypotheses that they haven't currently proven. Which is a good thing and what propels science.

The following is an interesting editorial by Ars about a scientific survey that was conducted recently. Bold is the most relevant to this thread, but the rest of the article is worth reading so I'll copy and paste it all.

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/07/public-trusts-scientists-not-their-conclusions.ars
    edit: just to point out that the thread title illustrates scientific misunderstanding as well. By it's very nature nothing in science is settled. Science is an every-changing dynamic understanding of the world which is based interpretation of the current data. It's never static.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The two are inextricably linked.

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

And I will repeat this, what is so wrong with going greener period? If man has caused this global warming( or upset the cycle), going greener will help fix the environment. If this is a normal cycle which we have had a small impact on it, going green is still a good thing to do because it still reduces our footprint on the Earth.......

20. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Well, I can say at least all these opinions are documented. That way we know who to point fingers at once its too late. A bit of a consolation but at least we've got that.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Everyone interprets "going green" differently. I think its positive that we do all we can to minimize the impact of industry and human habitation on the planet. However, this won't be nearly enough in the long run. The only truly effective solution will be to reduce our numbers.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The two are unconnected. Carbon dioxide is not a pollutant.

23. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I for one welcome our;

Post -apocalyptic world, largely covered in water, where people duke it out in jet ski's armed with rocket launchers

24. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Ah don't worry, once enough people throw money at other people then they do some stuff, everything will be alright.

In reality, it's just going to take natural progression before we stop pumping carbon dioxide into the air. Yea, if we used gasoline combustion engines for the next 300 years, there may be an affect on the Earth. But guess what, we aren't. Hydrogen engines are already in production and will become mainstream in the next decade or two. Of course, you'll have people saying that Hydrogen engines cause catastrophic forest fires too.

All that matters is we are all going to die from a nuclear war, not driving in little tiny cars that use a natural resource on Earth made from living things.

25. boast macrumors 65816

boast

too expensive. Plus you have China and India bitching that the U.S. didn't have to worry about it during their industrialization.