Is Microsoft Preparing the iPhone Killer?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
How about shooting 6.5 in the foot, then taking 6 months or so to bring an update, that's already late?
Leaving Apple to usher in OS 4.0, and 4G iPhone, and Android to go through pastry related OS like a sweet toothed kid in a Krispy Kreme.

WHERE are the apps? Oh right, the ones for 6.5 don't work? So they're starting from 0?

nikhsub1

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
First of all it won't be available until at least the end of 2010. I am interested to know if this OS is susceptible to the same malware/spyware/trojans/viruses that the desktop OS is. I ran Windows mobile once, granted it was a beginning of 2007 and it was awful. Hopefully they can make something usable, easy and sleek. Im sure the MS bashing will ensue and you will be called all sorts of names including troll. The more OSes that are good, the more we all will benefit.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
The only people who use the term "iPhone killer" are Apple fanboys threatened by anything without the Apple logo and bloggers using the term to draw hits from Apple fanboys who are threatened by anything without the Apple logo.

With Apple's success, they have yet to kill any other smartphone maker on the market. RIM is stronger than ever, Google phones are flying off the shelves and MS/Palm got much needed makeovers. There's plenty of market for all the players, and the consumer wins due to competitive pricing and more choice.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
yes of course Microsoft want to slay Iphone/Google!

and every other phone on the market. :rolleyes: in terms of slaying Iphone is ranked 3rd over all Google has a while before it's even ranked. Microsoft once said the Iphone was a joke. really these Iphone killer threads are a joke. one day one way or another Iphone BB Nokia will all be beat. it's a combo software hardware and marketing. ;) Apple is the master of the last. Microsoft not so much!

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
How about shooting 6.5 in the foot, then taking 6 months or so to bring an update, that's already late?
Leaving Apple to usher in OS 4.0, and 4G iPhone, and Android to go through pastry related OS like a sweet toothed kid in a Krispy Kreme.

WHERE are the apps? Oh right, the ones for 6.5 don't work? So they're starting from 0?
Agreed, from what I've seen so far of Windows Phone 7 Series, I'm not impressed.

Ab10la

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
When did Microsoft announce a phone? They announced an os not a phone. How good it will be will depend on the actual device it's on.

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Nexus was the iPhone killer. The new Microsoft phone OS is a Nexus killer.

The iPhone is behind everyone at the moment but it will most likely shoot ahead when OS 4.0 and the next gen iPhone comes out.

kdarling

macrumors P6
With Apple's success, they have yet to kill any other smartphone maker on the market. RIM is stronger than ever, Google phones are flying off the shelves and MS/Palm got much needed makeovers.

There's plenty of market for all the players, and the consumer wins due to competitive pricing and more choice.
Exactly. Just as there are many automobile models, there will always be multiple smartphone models.

No one type can fit all users.

Plus there are artificial barriers to sales such as exclusivity contracts.

iphonetester

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Iphone ripoff with Android feel. Why does all these platforms impose social networking. Even the experiment with facebook push was already annoying. Why do I care what Joe said to John in response to some other stupid comment. When I feel like to read that, I just log in to Facebook App and actually read that on. Plus running all these services in the backgrond paired with high res screen - very short battery life. Integration with Zune marketplace is not so bad. It would be nice if I can listen to some tune on ipod and then expand to find more on this artist on Itunes.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
odd

Iphone ripoff with Android feel. Why does all these platforms impose social networking. Even the experiment with facebook push was already annoying. Why do I care what Joe said to John in response to some other stupid comment. When I feel like to read that, I just log in to Facebook App and actually read that on. Plus running all these services in the backgrond paired with high res screen - very short battery life. Integration with Zune marketplace is not so bad. It would be nice if I can listen to some tune on ipod and then expand to find more on this artist on Itunes.
the Iphone came out before the Iphone! :rolleyes: and the rest of the stuff has been said many times. back to your android forum. :p

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
The only people who use the term "iPhone killer" are Apple fanboys threatened by anything without the Apple logo and bloggers using the term to draw hits from Apple fanboys who are threatened by anything without the Apple logo.
And here I am, thinking that "iPod killer", "iPhone killer" etc. are terms only used by Microsoft sycophants. And of course by people in the know who use it to mark stillborn wannabe competitors :rolleyes:

Yes, Microsoft will follow up its iPod killer, the "Zune", with an iPhone killer. :D

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
And here I am, thinking that "iPod killer", "iPhone killer" etc. are terms only used by Microsoft sycophants. And of course by people in the know who use it to mark stillborn wannabe competitors :rolleyes:

Yes, Microsoft will follow up its iPod killer, the "Zune", with an iPhone killer. :D
Actually, last time I checked, the WinMo forums couldn't really care less about the iPhone and quite a few WinMo phones can be set up to dual boot WinMo or Android (such as both my Fuze and Tilt). I certainly plan on buying a WinMo 7 phone when they become available. As far as I can see, the only people that care all about the iPhone are here and Apple and I doubt even Apple is as paranoid as some people here. :rolleyes:

LePigeonBleu

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
San Diego
i think that microsoft, or any other company for that matter that makes a "better" phone than apple is only going to help the iphone. i say that because apple sees what those companies are doing, and knows they have to one-up them.

m

Ab10la

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
i think that microsoft, or any other company for that matter that makes a "better" phone than apple is only going to help the iphone. i say that because apple sees what those companies are doing, and knows they have to one-up them.

m
I don't think apple needs to one up anybody. I mean the 3gs came out with only a 3 mp camera, some phones alraedy had 5mp. The iPhone never has the better specs amongst phones, yet sold a lot. Apple knows it's sheepskin will still buy so is not worried. Apple is the only company that holds back features for future editions. Well i will be dumping my 3gs for the nexus one soon, Mai ly because of Att expensive plans.

LePigeonBleu

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
San Diego
I don't think apple needs to one up anybody. I mean the 3gs came out with only a 3 mp camera, some phones alraedy had 5mp. The iPhone never has the better specs amongst phones, yet sold a lot. Apple knows it's sheepskin will still buy so is not worried. Apple is the only company that holds back features for future editions. Well i will be dumping my 3gs for the nexus one soon, Mai ly because of Att expensive plans.
i see your point, but when it comes to the UI, i think they will have to. granted, i don't think it will come until the next gen iphone.

regarding you switching to the nexus one, why not just jailbreak and unlock your iphone and bring it to t-mobile? they will help you with a plan for it.

m

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
There is no such thing as an "iPhone killer".

Nothing that will come out from any manufacturer will make the majority of iPhone users switch. For one, the Apple brand. Most of the people who carry an iPhone are loyal to the company, Apple. Secondly, people have invested way too much time and money in their applications that only the iPhone OS can use. I have contemplated so many times switching to Verizon for the Palm Pre or Pixi, but only to realize that I will never have all of my applications. If Palm did offer all of the applications I use, I would have to buy them all over again.

These "iPhone killer" threads are a complete joke and they only exist for one reason, attention. Some people fail to realize that a phone is not just the operating system or hardware, it is the combination of both. Apple found the right combination, others have not. Adroid phones feel a little awkward and Windows Mobile, well it's just down right awful. I can't speak for Windows Mobile 7 though, so I am ignorant to Microsoft's latest mobile operating system.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'm so tired of the "killer suffix". If I was to build a phone/media device tomorrow, I'd call it the Baby. No one would dare call their device the Baby Killer.

Baby FTW!

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I'm so tired of the "killer suffix". If I was to build a phone/media device tomorrow, I'd call it the Baby. No one would dare call their device the Baby Killer.

Baby FTW!
And the sellers at the shops would have to put the phone on display right in the middle, pride of place too eh? ;)

(film reference).

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Nothing that will come out from any manufacturer will make the majority of iPhone users switch.
Who cares? None of these other phones are trying to take iPhone users. iPhone users represent just a tiny portion of mobile phone users overall. There is a huge uncapped audience of cell phone users who aren't using smartphones. All of these companies are going after this audience. That is why talk of a "iPhone killer" is nonsense. These companies don't need to beat the iPhone. They need to tap into this audience.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Apple has been under-impressive so far this year. There has been nothing new for the iPhone, and the Tablet is like all the other tablets. If Apple doesn't do something impressive with their next phone, I don't think Apple will recover or at least not in the immediate year or two.

IntelliUser

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2009
Why does it matter?
No smartphone has something as good as the app store. Therefore until they have 2 GHz ARM processors with 1 GB GPUs and 10 Mp cameras (start having some other significant advantages) they're no better than Chinese iPhone wannabes.