Is more than 2 apps side by side going to be exclusive on the bigger iPad Pro only?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jabingla2810, Apr 2, 2016.

1. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Similar to the Surface, I think Apples multitasking solution will extend to more than 2 apps at the same time.

However, with the larger screen and 4GB of RAM, I can see this only being possible on the iPad Pro 12.9".

I think looking at the history of how import RAM has been regarding iOS updates, I feel Apple has perhaps been short sighted with the smaller iPad Pro.

2. jschu22 macrumors regular

I hope someone has an intervention for me if I ever want to have more than 2 apps running side by side on a 9.7" iPad.

My not so smart ass reply- I wouldn't hold my breath on Apple being in a hurry to do this, hence probably not much need for this device to have more RAM for that purpose.

3. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

I think we'll have to see what iOS 10 brings to the table.

There's quite a few things Apple needs to do better to really set the Pro line from the Air.

4. jschu22 macrumors regular

Respectfully, I think you have that backwards.

5. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

If you think Apple has done enough to make the iPP stand on its own (other than the pencil support), then you're in the minority.

Nuff said.

6. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I use split view all the time (and slide over for the apps that haven't implemented split view yet grr...) but if we ever see floating windows on an iPad then Apple has really jumped the shark. What I hope they're focusing on is drag and drop between apps in split view mode as well as allowing two instances of the same app side by side.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Why would you need more than 2 apps open at once

8. JD2015 macrumors 6502

Comparing two documents whilst researching in safari/kindle book and watching a video via PiP

9. stevemiller, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016

stevemiller macrumors 65832

Well... There is pip for videos...

But seriously the biggest thing is they need to make both apps in split view able to be easily changed. It's such an arbitrary restriction right now.

edit: just realized regular multitasking view switches the left, and the pull down list switches the right, although it still feels kinda messy.

10. AliMacs macrumors 6502

Pompous mentality at its finest.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Care to elaborate?

12. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

I'm ready for four apps side by side top and bottom like the note 12.2 release years ago

13. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

As 12vEletronics intelligently stated, please do elaborate.

14. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

On my 12.9" screen I cannot imagine wanting to have more than 2 apps on the screen at the same time. It would not be very usable.

You really need a large screen, like an iMac, to be able to run more than 2 apps side by side in a comfortable size.

15. pacorob, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016

pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I agree that the option to have more then two apps and/or e.g. multiple documents/websites open in one app (Safari/Word) would be great to have on the iPad as well.

There are apps in the app store which can show multiple websites, documents e.g. 4. There are some mentioned in my list here:
    - Side by Side/Pro - maximum: 4 (browser only, only opens documents via browser not directly via cloud storage) - last updated in 2014 no guarantees that works
    - Skipper - maximum: 3 (browser only) - last updated in 2011 no guarantees that works
    - TileBrowser - maximum: 10 - (web + documents has to be downloaded from cloud to app first to open them)

You will have to check which ones offer this. This is ofcourse not the build in Split View (Slide Over) which is available for some iDevices since iOS9.

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think Apple needs to significantly improve the UI for running two apps side and by side before they even think about adding more. Specifically, selecting the apps and switching the apps is really inefficient and counter-intuitive in the current side-by-side UI.

17. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

The Slide Over/Split View way of selecting an app is indeed terrible especially if you have a lot of apps that support these features. A good search options and A-Z index would be handy for example.

18. stulaw11 macrumors 65816

Just because it CAN be done doesn't mean it's near the best way. Samsung is notorious for this.

4 windows on the screen would be like half of the Air 2 in portrait mode in each corner, i would look HORRIBLE and everything too tiny to use to be any bit functional.

19. fanta88 macrumors 6502

Agreed, I do not need more than two windows. What I would like is a more efficient and elegant way of selecting apps in split view and drag and drop capabilities.

Also, it would be nice to open up one app in both windows at the same time.

20. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I agree that this should definitely be added.

Untill that time there are those alternative options (not Split View from Apple) for only internet browsing, viewing documents as mentioned in this topic (and this one) or apps like Sidefari.

21. matthauger macrumors newbie

matthauger

FWIW, I definitely encounter scenarios when more than two split-screen apps would be useful. For example, last night, I had Procreate open on one side and an instructional drawing book on the other. The book called for a timed exercise, which meant some fumbly switching back and forth with the clock app. Would've been super-helpful to have all three apps open simultaneously.

22. jschu22 macrumors regular

Instead of quoting the individual posts, I'll apply this to all those that want so much more from the iPad Pro: Go get a laptop.

It's understandable to want more, but most of these suggestions aren't going to happen out of simple logic (from Apple's point of view). They already offer devices that can do what some of you are asking for- why would they make those irrelevant? You simply can't have everything.

I wont suggest that this is an absolute truth but some are undoubtedly going to dismiss what I'm saying but you're just willfully disregarding rational thought.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2016 ---
    Stand apart from what, another iPad? Have I missed something where Apple has made significant changes from one version to the next? Let's be honest here, the most radical jump that has happened with the line was from no iPad to the first iPad. Maybe you're referring more modest but important changes and if so I'd argue that this version was a more significant update than the Air to Air 2, and that doesn't even mention a least a couple more "updates" Apple has done to the line over the years.

I'm not saying this an a fanboy, just someone that paying attention to reality and not my own personal wish list.

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

"Why would you need more than 2 apps open at once"

I think that @AliMacs assumed that @12vElectronics was implying that there was no legitimate need to have more than 2 apps open at once rather than a sincere inquiry as to a scenario where more than 2 apps would be helpful/needed.

With regard to expanding and enhancing multiwindow support in iOS, I'm glad that Apple is going slow in that particular aspect of change to iOS. Too many people are expressing too many pie-in-the-sky ideas that sound good in theory but would be terrible in practice... but I'm not glad that they're dragging their feet on OTHER aspects (like support for mice/trackpads) of improvements to iOS. (yes, I'm fully aware of the inconsistency in that statement.) :p

Most who are clamoring for an OSX tablet have never used a Windows tablet for any extended period of time. If they did, they would understand the shortcomings of putting a desktop OS on a tablet.

24. FairyCatInPink macrumors regular

FairyCatInPink

I don't think two apps running side by side should be only for 12.9" Pro, however, you can see split screen mode on both devices, when you use split screen mode on 12.9", those two screens are almost same sizes as two iPad mini side by side. It's smaller working space but still workable. But on 9.7"? That looks like some kind of joke, and that tiny two splitted screens can't be comfortable for people continuously working on something they have to do.

Sure there's no reason it's for only 12.9", but physically, it's kinda useless for 9.7" Pro, just because of the working space will be so limited.

25. AliMacs macrumors 6502

This was NOT directed at you - but directly at Apple - for controlling what you would WANT to have on an iPad. It's true you seldom need more than 2 apps on an iPad open at the same time otherwise you'd be using a full computer anyway.

What's limiting right now is that I cannot slide from right to left having the right side 2/3 of the screen and when selecting another app to run, that list of split-view apps is annoyingly long - no way to search for an app quickly to run side by side. They need to enhance this split-view UI in the next iOS revision.