Is Muslim a race or a religion?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I keep seeing articles pointing to Muslim verbal assaults being labeled racist, but Muslims are any member of Islamic religion correct?

I usually would be like, okay maybe someone screwed up an article, but it's literally everywhere, someone got verbally assaulted in the TTC, racism, a Muslim in France got cut with a box cutter, racism?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. APlotdevice, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Muslims aren't a "race". But then white Muslims are kinda hard to pick out of a crowd.

4. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Race is being used as shorthand for, "this group of people."

It's not a race. If people refer to it as a race, then they are mistaken.

Is it alright for some people to be mistaken? Is it possible to correct all the mistaken notions in this world?

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Cultural racism is a term used by the UN and in the scientific world to describe some racist ideologies, ideas, reasoning, arguments and notions. Citations are made in terms of ideology "Culture shock" and that cultural differences legitimize exclusion and discrimination based on racial notions and ranking of culture as higher and lower in relation to each other. Examples of such notions and arguments that are included in these citations could be "many immigrants don't go to work, and engage in tax evasion", "many Gypsies have a cultural predisposition for stealing", "muslims get lots of children, take over our country and evade our culture" and "all Americans are idiots".

Culture racism is related to Xenophobia, Islamophobia and Antisemitism. The cultural racism that is specifically directed against Jews is called antisemitism. If it is directed against the roma it is called Antiziganism, against Christians christophobia, and if it is directed against muslims it is called islamophobia.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Wow, I learned something in PRSI!

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it is because the people who go after muslims like that tend to only go after the Arab ones because they are easier to pick out, plus at least in the US after 9/11 and I'd assume the same thing has or will happen in Europe non-muslim arabs are assaulted because people think they are Muslims. So to answer your question Muslims are any member of the Islamic religion, but a very large percentage of them are of one race so that race is where the hate is directed since it is easier to see visually than it is to see that someone follows a certain religion.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Correct, therefore it is a religion.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Is Jewish a race or a religion?

11. Huntn, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Islam is a religion. "Race" is a discredited idea, having been replaced by ethninticity, a much more complex categorization, with no simple labels.

Just like Jews are not a race, but I've been told by a Jewish person in this forum that because many of European Jews have similar ethnic backgrounds, they are treated as a race. But I really don't see that because I don't think their ethnic background is limited exclusively to Jews, and this faith can be acquired by anyone based on belief, unless it's specifically a racist organization like the KKK that injects religion into its racism.

Can I assume you believe neither are a race? :p

12. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Anything you can choose to convert to is surely not a race.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Religion.

I can convert to Islam. I can't convert to Japanese.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Judaism HAS distinct ethnic groups in itself, but that does not make the entire group an ethnicity. Ashkenazic (German or Eastern European), Sephardic (Spain and Portugal), Mizrahim (Middle Eastern, North African) and smaller subgroups exist.

15. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

The Vapors did.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You really think so?

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That was involuntary... o_O

18. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I really thinks so.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Rachel Dolezal says otherwise. :D

20. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

At German school and from European media I learned that being jewish is a religion, then a 1,5 year ago I got friends with a jewish American (calling himself an American Jew) who told me, that a lot of Jews see themselves as a race, because they saw themselves Jewish by blood (the rule is that the bloodline is clean as long as the mother was a jew). I learned that this is a concept shared not only by orthodox Jews in the US, while only by orthodox in the EU. (Hence after Charlie Hebdo jewish French said "why does Nethanjahu think we want to come to Israel? We are French, here is our home or as Ignaz Bubis said French of Jewish believe." (Yes, of course there were some that migrated to Israel in that time. While Berlin had a growing number of Israelis in this year, interestingly.).

PS: and now please before you call me a Nazi or racist (as happened once), read twice.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Why would any Jews today want to immigrate to a place where they revel in whacking a hornets nest and then wonder how and why they got stung?

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

When "anti Islam" groups turn up to protests, and then make racist comments, but argue "Islam isn't a religion"...... then frankly I don't give a **** what they say.

Racism isn't solely directed toward one race, it can be directed at a variety from one source.

Frankly "Its not racist because Islam isn't a race" is just rubbish excuse for prejudice....... You can't possibly claim to be unprejudiced, and then make swathing comments about entire belief systems.

23. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Liberals are teaching us otherwise.

24. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Kinda surprised no one is talking about Trump suggesting that we should track Muslims in a database.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant