Is my 2010 MacBook Pro dead ?

Moonloop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Ireland
So , I used Onyx to give my Pro it’s monthly makeover , disc integrity fine (960gb ssd) , trash emptied etc . Restarted machine and it boots as per normal but gets stuck at the end of the Apple logo progress bar . Nothing budges from there . None of the usual startup options work ( CMD-R etc )
Eventually , Verbose worked and presented this screen . Using Screens app for controlling my Mac Mini I see and can mount the MacBook Pro but don’t know what needs fixing . Kernel trap maybe ?

Anyone have an idea what’s wrong ?

M

upload_2019-2-2_14-35-16.jpeg

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
What is wrong ?
Onyx is wrong!....
Disconnect all peripherals and try

Last edited:

Moonloop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Ireland
Hi ,
No peripherals attached . I have made a High Sierra reinstall usb but can’t get it seen as usual shortcuts (startup manager etc ) don’t work .

M

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
You say NONE of the start up keys work.
How did you reinstall ?
How about hardware test ?

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
So, if I understand correctly, you prepared a USB thumb drive with a High Sierra installer, but when you power up your machine with it inserted and the option key held down, it doesn’t appear in the list of bootable drives? Does any list of icons appear when you option-boot like that? Normally I would expect to see at least the internal drive and a recovery drive. Also, you might want to verify that the USB drive that you prepared will actually boot on another Mac computer (I believe your first post mentioned that you have a Mac Mini you can use to test it).

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode by holding down the Shift key while powering up? That should clear out all caches, which maybe were somehow messed up by Onyx (though that seems unlikely).

If option-boot doesn’t give you a list of drives to boot, and Safe boot won’t work, then it seems like your laptop has developed some sort of hardware problem. It might just be coincidence that the problem decided to manifest itself right after running Onyx.

I’ve had pretty spotty results trying to get my computers to run Apple Hardware Test, but maybe this article will help you:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/07/how-to-start-mac-apple-diagnostics-hardware-test-mode/

Alternatively, you might try pulling one of your RAM sticks out and seeing if it will boot. If that doesn’t do it, swap so you have pulled the other RAM out.

Moonloop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Ireland
Very interesting , thanks. Holding Option at startup doesn’t show the list of available drives . The ssd sound seems to start as normal . No beach ball , just progress bar which stalls at the end . Command + V led to Verbose , hence my screenshot , so it’s a mystery to me why other diagnostic key combos don’t work as the keyboard must be working .

M

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
Those start up key combinations reside in the NVRAM
did you reset it already ?

Last edited:

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
hose start up key combinations reside in the NVRAM
did you reset it already ?
Yes, that is a good idea. Also, keep in mind that you have to hold down the key or keys for quite a while to make it work - for option boot I push the power button, then immediately hold down the option key until the list shows up - it could be ten or twenty seconds.

Here is an Apple support article on resetting the NVRAM:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Moonloop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Ireland
SMC and NVRAM have both been reset (ie. key combinations have been tried ) but I can’t tell if the commands are being carried out.only ones that definitely worked so far are Verbose and Single User .

M

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
So when you did the NVRAM reset did you get the startup chime, followed by an automatic reboot (while holding down the keys continuously) about 10 or 15 seconds later?