Is my 2015 15" retina running slow enough to be worried?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Natzoo, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

So im updating to capital and I've been gone for 15 minutes and it has only done 2.8 gb out of 6gb while my other mac the 2013 15" retina did it in 15 and was done. is my mac slow, my internet is really fast, computer is new, should i be worried. i just thought the newer one was faster

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I would try cancelling the download and restarting. I had a similar problem yesterday. The install image downloaded at 60Mb/s to my Mac mini. And only about 15Mb/s on my MBP, which was started as soon as the Mac mini download finished (I didn't want to delay the upgrade of the mini any further, figuring that the MBP download would be done long before the mini upgrade completed anyway, so I didn't bother copying it across the LAN to the other system.)

I just let it sit for about 15 minutes or so before I gave up, stopped it, and then restarted it. It was fine after that, so I think it probably just had a slow connection or something to whatever node was serving my first request at the time (due to lots of traffic at the source.) Too bad they don't use something like BitTorrent for their downloads. It would probably help mitigate the issue.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Internet speed has nearly nothing to do with the computer's power. You know that, right?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Or it could just be busy on apples servers and they aren't giving the same upload speeds.....

5. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

ik but its downloading capitan from the internet? right?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Of course.

Many things can affect speeds. Maybe each computer was downloading El Capitan from a different server, and one of them was busier, thus giving you less speed.

That's really not something I'd fret over.

7. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

but i think i still have some viruses because i used to torrent on my other mac and i thought i got rid of everything but there is a chance that i didnt, so what anti-virus/malware do you recommend and is free.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can't have a virus as none exist in the wild for OS X.

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Just saying....Maybe you should use a Window computer instead. Comparing download speed then complaining hardware issue THEN accusing virus? I feel like an idiot cause I don't even know where to start explaining.