Is my 7 Day old iMac 27" out of date now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MitchBRAH, Feb 24, 2011.

1. MitchBRAH macrumors newbie

Hi

New member :D

Purchased a 27" iMac i5 last week in Australia for $2200 for Uni but now with the new MacBook Pro's being released is my iMac now under powered in comparison to the 15" MBP i7?

Is it worth returning it for the new MBP or just keeping it because after looking at the specs is it possible that it is more powerful than the Four Core Whore?

Many Thanks.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you think only in terms of specs, you will never be happy. The 27" iMac is a perfectly capable machine. Does it do what you want? Is it fast enough?

There is always something faster coming.

3. brachson macrumors member

+ if you wondering if i7 will be faster than your i5 why you bought i5?

Just leave it :)

4. nStyle macrumors 65816

To answer your question, the new MBP's are pretty close in comparison to your iMac.

I am sure the iMac new iMac is coming any time soon, which is why I took my mine back to wait.

5. Alan64 macrumors member

Both are quite powerful, and as others said, there's always something even more powerful around the corner. In most day-to-day uses, I doubt you'd notice any significant difference running those two machines. I've got a 27" iMac i5 from Fall 2009 and it still rocks (without RAM maxed out, either). Yours is even faster.

I think the important question is, do you want a desktop machine or a laptop? To me, the iMac's 27" screen is as big a plus as its power. You're not going to get that in a laptop! If you don't have much room, or you want something to take on the road, then I could see getting a Macbook Pro instead, but otherwise I'd stick with the iMac.

6. scottdot macrumors member

scottdot

Your iMac was "out of date" a day after Apple released the thing. Quit kicking yourself and use your awesome Apple hardware to do something great! If you want an upgrade, buy some RAM. ;)

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

It doesn't have to be mac computer to be out of date. There's always something better a day after you purchase sumthin'. Be thankful for what u have today. You'll waste pointless money just to stay up to date every single day

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

With that type of attitude, you'll never be happy with anything that you buy because in the back of your head, you know something else will be better. Just stop thinking that way and you won't have any problems ;)

9. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Don't compare the iMac to the MBP. There is a reason you went with the iMac and I'm sure it still holds true. That computer should last you many years.

10. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Hello, and welcome.

It's all been said above... but if you're the kinda person who worries about such things (I am, too), keep your ear to the ground on this forum in future, and mind the Buyer's Guide.

I'm interested to see what Apple do with the iMac. If it torpedoes my current one, I'll see whether I can sell it without losing too much money...

11. bluap84 macrumors 6502

Hey Dude...im a newbie here too...

but dude i bought my 27" iMac 2.93Q, 4GB, 1TB, ATI 5750, in mid feb. I then heard about the new iMacs being rumored. I thought oh ***** i got an "old" iMac

then...i booted her up, installed software and took her for a spin. I couldnt be happier. Ok the new macs may have some new cool features but i really couldnt care less. i Love my new mac.

I would suggest you keep it, use and abuse it and enjoy it. You can always upgrade the ram if you want ill be planning on upgrading to 16gb eventually.

but as a whole you have an awesome machine, no need to wait!

12. MacHamster68, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes you need to return the mac immediately as in 2-3 years nobody will buy a used Mac that slow , and especially one without thunderbold , so return it today or sell quickly before anybody knows about the couple mhz speed difference and thunderbold :rolleyes:

of course your Mac is still fully usable , that little bit slower will in real world usage make no difference at all , and for thunderbold so far i did not came across any device you could hook on to it that would make any sense at least non that are affordable
    Apple does every year give their new Mac's a tiny bit more speed to keep people interested
    the i3 ,i5 ,i7 can be safely overclocked buy about 30% so that gives apple upgrades for years to come , about every year 0.1 ghz

13. mattk3650 macrumors member

The 6750M in the MBP is about the same as the big 5750 in the iMac. You got a decent deal. You still got a gigantic 27" 2560x1440 display.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, with the release of new MBPs today, your machine can no longer run productivity applications but still excels at Farmville.

15. turbobass macrumors 6502

Ya but with Sandy Bridge you can play Nanosaur.

16. MitchBRAH thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers fellas or ladies,

Am very happy and if it needs be down the track I can always get a iPad 2 or MacBook Air for portability.

Thanks for the help.