Is my ATT X unlocked if full paid and no contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Nov 11, 2017.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I was wondering if my iPhone X purchased through Apple is unlocked if I paid for it in full at point of purchase online?

If it is unlocked can I use a verizon sim card on it from an iPhone 6?

If it is not unlocked, is there a way to unlock it?

Or is it better to return the ATT X and buy an Verizon X and then run ATT sim card on it?

Thanks.

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

The AT&T iPhone X would be GSM unlocked if purchased full price from Apple. However it would not be compatible with Verizon. It would be better to return and purchase a Verizon version.

3. richard371 macrumors 68020

Good luck with that.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Yes it is unlocked, no it won't work with Verizon.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2017 ---
    Why?

5. richard371 macrumors 68020

if on ATT Apple will not sell you a Verizon phone unless you wait for the sim free versions or try your luck by waiting inline at the apple store. You will also not be able to use the Apple UP program and will have to pay in full.

6. Mxbzz, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

Mxbzz macrumors 6502

The AT&T model, if purchased at the Apple store and paid in full, is NOT unlocked. It will be locked to AT&T until you request an unlock code. AT&T generally responds to unlock requests within 2 business days. So as long as your account is in good standing and you didn’t purchase the iPhone under a monthly payment plan, they’ll approve and have your iPhone unlocked in no time.

The AT&T model does NOT support Verizon or Sprint (CDMA) bands. If you’re planning to use any of those carriers, your best bet is to return and wait for a Verizon unlocked model.

Edit: I guess I was mistaken! I was given the impression that the phone locks to the first network you activate it on. I know when I picked up my iPhone X, I still had to enter my AT&T details to activate the phone, but I can’t confirm what would have happened if I popped a T-Mobile SIM instead.

7. richard371 macrumors 68020

This is incorrect. Ive purchased several att phones from apple if you pay in full or Apple up its unlocked. If you pay on the ATT next plan its locked.

8. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Then is the Apple website wrong? When you choose the AT&T version at full price, it clearly states, "Unlocked iPhone with AT&T SIM".

Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 12.13.19 PM.png

9. richard371 macrumors 68020

He is incorrect. I bought the Intel 7+ last year from Apple ATT on Apple up and i used a sim in HK, Taiwan and Thailand and it was unlocked. Stay away form ATT NEXT though. They lock it on that plan.

10. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

You want the T-Mobile unit. GSM only with T-Mobile SIM (not inserted).

Carrier Compatibility
    Compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile
    This iPhone model will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile wireless networks. It will use either 3G or 4G LTE cellular technology for voice and data services. It can also roam internationally on many GSM carriers around the world.

This iPhone model does not support CDMA cellular technology for voice and data service, such as those used by Sprint and Verizon.

For more details on LTE network support, please visit www.apple.com/iphone/LTE.

https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/carrier-overlay/att-tmo

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Huh, that is the exact phone he has?

12. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

That is what I bought, chose TMobile. IT only works on GSM.
    Prior phones I bought were the Carrier free models that work on any.

Don't confuse Carrier free and unlocked.

OP: you can then use an existing SIM you have from AT&T.