Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Got it off eBay from a reputable dealer, however there are 3 things I've noticed.

1. The packaging seems different to the normal one, both the US and UK models.

2. The hinges (at either side) dont seem to move very freely. I'm not sure if its supposed to be loose or not. The middle bar moves smoothly though.

3. It smells. Only why close to it though. Basically gives off a strong mixture of leather and some sort of chemical smell, something similar to what you'd find at the dentist.

The actual quality of the smart cover is very good. No frayed edges.

I've also taken a picture of the embossed writing on the inner side. Again not sure if it is supposed to look like that, as it seems overly bold to me.

Would testing it with a new iPad for the sleep/wake function also be a good way to tell? Because any sort of fake will not work at all with the new iPad magnet wise.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20120321_113700.jpg
    IMG_20120321_113700.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_20120321_113645.jpg
    IMG_20120321_113645.jpg
    735 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_20120321_113559.jpg
    IMG_20120321_113559.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 333

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
1. No expert on the intricate details, but looks like the 3 I've opened before.

2. Unsure, manufacturing tolerance variance? It'll likely loosen up in time.

3. chemical smell it will, it's a bicast leather. Very heavily processed. Normal. It'll fade and smell more neutral, maybe even leather like in a few weeks.

print looks correct to me.

It's simple magnets, sleep wake function is not a good test.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
1. No expert on the intricate details, but looks like the 3 I've opened before.

2. Unsure, manufacturing tolerance variance? It'll likely loosen up in time.

3. chemical smell it will, it's a bicast leather. Very heavily processed. Normal. It'll fade and smell more neutral, maybe even leather like in a few weeks.

print looks correct to me.

It's simple magnets, sleep wake function is not a good test.

Thanks for the assurance.

My magnet test was based on Apple changing the polarisation of the magnets on the new iPad, hence why iPad 2 covers with magnets cant activate the sleep/wake function.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

My magnet test was based on Apple changing the polarisation of the magnets on the new iPad, hence why iPad 2 covers with magnets cant activate the sleep/wake function.

Genuine ipad 2 smart covers can activate ipad 3's.

I'm not sure why there are issues with 3rd party 'smart' covers, but they probably didn't follow apple's design guidelines, or mimic them well.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Use it for about a month or 2. Let the chem smell fade. Then get some mink oil, walmart/target. Takes very little, cleans, protects, and gives it a bit of shine and suppleness.

Work in very small amount with towel, too much and it's just greasy mess.

Mshilling

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
Genuine ipad 2 smart covers can activate ipad 3's.

I'm not sure why there are issues with 3rd party 'smart' covers, but they probably didn't follow apple's design guidelines, or mimic them well.

my smart cover ive had for a year works fine on my 3rd gen

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Just got a black leather one off eBay for $13. Brand new "open box". it was supposed to be the newest model but it's the one before. They seller refunded me 25 bucks for the error.

Smells like leather. Magnets work. Seems ever so slightly weaker than the newer model (which I also have). Still plenty strong, can stick it to the fridge with ease. Has a 17 digit serial number. The inside is different from the newer one but I believe that to be correct. I've had thoughts it might be fake but mostly because the seller was so willing to refund a big chunk on it. If it is, it's extremely well done.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
what is the difference between the old and new models on the smart covers?

On the black leather one the only thing I can see is the writing on the inside is slightly different and the interior of the newer ones is the same color as the outside ( for example on the blue poly the older ine interior is gray and its now blue). The interior side on my older model also seems to be much less of a dirt trap.

And I've heard the magnets on some of the older models may not work with the new one due to reversed polarity but it isn't a problem in the one I got.

----------

I think previously polarity didn't matter, the magnet could go either way for sleep wake and now its only one way. That's why some seem to work while others may not.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

my ipad2 cover works fine on my new ipad. leather..

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
U guys recommend getting the new smart cover models as opposed to the old ones? I know some stores have the older leather models a few bucks cheaper.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
U guys recommend getting the new smart cover models as opposed to the old ones? I know some stores have the older leather models a few bucks cheaper.

I got one of the new ones, but paid full price for it at the Apple retial store.
I was kind of scared about getting one that the magnents didn't work with the new ipad or something. That being said, I may go ahead and order one online in the hopes that it works with the new ipad and then return the one I have now to the Apple store if it does as I just got it and am in the 14 day return period. Something about 70$ for the leather frount flap just doesn't sit right with me. :)

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
If you want it for 9.00 cheaper, you can show best buy (if in usa, didnt check) this link and they will price match: http://www.walmart.com/ip/iPad-Smart-Cover/15992225

The walmart version is iPad 2 (older smart cover) but I havnt had any best buy employees notice and got it price matched for friends and myself.

i thought about doing that. Found one of the new models on ebay for 30$ though so will try that out first. 70$ is just too much for this cover.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
So as someone else asked, which smart cover is "better" overall? The old one or the newer one because I'm wanting to purchase one. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.