Is my hard drive about to kick the bucket? (G5)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheBMill, Aug 17, 2007.

1. TheBMill Guest

Hello,

I bought a Power PC G5 dual 2.5ghz machine back when it came out a few years ago. Recently I was getting a lot of errors, then finally it would just freeze up and..I'd get a black screen that said "darwin" and I was unable to login to the operating system.

I assumed that it was because I used a freeware program that deleted files to "clean up" my hard drive and that this program accidentally deleted files I needed.

So, I reformatted the drive and did a reinstall of the OSX. (the latest one) And while the computer seems to run faster, I still get weird errors. Both safari and firefox quit unexpectedly. And sometimes when I go to install a program, the install won't work.

For example, I just got Ilife '08 and it gave me a message afterwards saying, "Installation was not successful". And as of now, I can't get it to install.

What should I do? Is there a program that would help? (Disk warrior? Disc utility?) Is my hard drive slowly dying and I need to get a new one? If so, any you'd guys recommend? (IE. I have this drive as my second video editing drive, perhaps I should just buy another one of them? http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Internal-Drive-Cache-ST3300622AS-RK/dp/B000FBYMU8)

Thanks,
    Bobby

2. TheBMill thread starter Guest

re:

Also of note: I also just put in 2 1gb sticks of memory...could that have something to do with it?

There's 4 sticks of 512 and 2 of the new 1gb....different brands too...

In terms of the disk...

Diskwarrior says this:

"• Errors, if any, in the directory structure such as tree depth, header node, map nodes, node size, node counts, node
    links, indexes and more have been repaired.
    • 50 files had a directory entry with an incorrect alias flag that was repaired.
    • 6 files had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.
    • 1 folder had a directory entry with an incorrect custom icon flag that was repaired.
    • Incorrect values in the Volume Information were repaired.
    Disk Information:
    Files: 323,916
    Folders: 78,988
    Free Space: 197.85 GB
    Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    Block Size: 4 K
    Disk Sectors: 489,972,534
    Media: Maxtor 6Y250M0
    Time: 8/17/07 10:32:37 AM
    DiskWarrior Version: 4.0"

3. CaptainCanuck macrumors member

What's the S.M.A.R.T status of the drive? If it's "verified" then it should be alright. If not, then there's a good chance the drive may be failing.

You might also want to try to repair the drive a couple more times using diskwarrior or Disk Utility just to make sure everything checks out.

4. TheBMill thread starter Guest

interesting. I just took out the new memory sticks and it seems to be installing now...ill see if i get any more of those old errors....if not, looks like ill be making a return here...

thanks so much

5. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

6. TheBMill thread starter Guest

Well. It definitely was the memory cards. They were 1gb sticks from "G.Skill" Yeah. Never heard of em'. I guess there's a reason why.

Was thinking of replacing them with crucial brand sticks. But, I'm wondering if my old G5 is having trouble with a stick that large, as the rest are all 512gb? Then again, I have no reason why it shouldn't accept 1gb cards. I'm guessing it's really just the whacky brand I got...