Is my iPhone a world phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacKid1983, Nov 7, 2011.

1. MacKid1983, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

MacKid1983 macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

I have the Verizon iPhone 4s, got it on launch day. It has a SIM card slot on the side. Does this mean I can use it overseas?
    I though you had to pay extra for a world phone?

Or does it need to be "unlocked" by apple. HELP! :)

Please let me know thanks guys and girls!

2. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Yes as stated above. And now the question, is Verizon iPhone 4S locked or unlocked when you buy it?

3. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Out of the box, it can only be used with the included Verizon microSIM and its exorbitant international roaming rates.

If you want to use a different SIM while traveling, see this thread.

4. MacKid1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

So I want to do the right thing.

I am wanting to sell it on Craigslist to upgrade to 32gb (i have a 16) Can I post it is a "world phone" and get more money for it?

Do I call Verizon and have them "unlock it" or will it only be "unlocked" on my account or does it "travel" with the phone?

Also is there a fee to unlock?

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Out of the box, using the Verizon-branded SIM card that ought to have been pre-installed in your iPhone, you can roam in over 200 countries where Verizon has roaming partners. You'd have to enable Verizon's international roaming package on your account before you leave.

By default, the Verizon iPhone 4S is locked to Verizon's SIM card, so you won't be able to use a local SIM card in overseas countries. (However, for MOST of Verizon's world phones, you can apply to have the SIM lock removed after 60 days with an account in good standing.)

Keep in mind, Verizon has CDMA roaming agreements with companies in 20 or so countries (such as Canada), and in these countries Verizon hasn't bothered to establish any GSM-based roaming partnerships. So if you roam into any of these countries, you'll still be using CDMA (along with all the limitations that come with CDMA) instead of UMTS/HSPA.

----------

It would be completely honest to say that your phone is a "world phone" exactly as it is today. However, you would have to note that it is locked to the Verizon network, and thus can only be used with Verizon for its home network, and is limited to Verizon's roaming partners for worldwide travel.

After the phone is unlocked by authorized means, it will remain unlocked forever - it travels with the phone, not with the account. However, the unlock is only guaranteed to work for international roaming, not domestically. So basically, if you sell it to somebody else in the USA, they may still have trouble using it domestically with anybody other than Verizon.

6. MacKid1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

Thanks Goose!

Does Verizon charge to unlock it?

7. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Nope

8. MacKid1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

Yeah I just called and they Unlocked it. She said I need to install an international SIM card connect to wifi and it will be all set.

NOW If I sell this on Craigslist I can say its Unlocked for Int'l use? I just don't want to mislead anyone. I am not an expert at this. Just want to make sure I am truthful so I can get the 32gb. I need more storage!!