is my iphone unlocked? im trying to sell it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jigmeister, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jigmeister macrumors member

Hi

I bought my 4s from the apple site sim free. does that mean its unlocked? I have jail broken it in the past but i wanted the lastest software so its no longer jailbroken.

i keep seeing 'iphone unlocked' for sale and im not sure if mine is..im on o2 on pay as you go

confused!:D

2. superhrixenz macrumors member

If you clicked "Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free" on the apple website when you bought it, then your iPhone is an unlocked phone.

The easiest way to know is you can insert any other sim card and see if your phone detects the network.

3. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

Before I called AT&T to get my now off-contract phone unlocked, I checked my phone's status here:

http://dev.mk/devmk-unlock-checker-find-out-the-tool-you-need/

This site sells a lot of unlocking services, but all you need to do is check your status, which you do by entering your IMEI. Obviously my iPhone showed as LOCKED.

Anyway, Apple apparently completed their part of the unlock procedure this past weekend (it took 2 weeks!). A couple of days after doing the Backup-Restore-RestoreFromBackup procedure in iTunes I checked the status again and my phone now shows as UNLOCKED. I have no idea where the site gets their data for which IMEIs are locked/unlocked, but the process worked for me. You can give a potential buyer for your phone the IMEI number and the URL for the above site so they can check the status for themselves.

BTW, I needed to check this because when I did the Backup-Restore-RestoreFromBackup procedure, I never got the "Congratulations, your iPhone is now Unlocked" message. Lots of other people have also run into this glitch in the unlock process.