Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vroom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2004
Here's the deal. This is my niece's iPod Touch 5th Gen. The glass on top of the LCD was shattered, so I ordered a replacement in hopes of fixing it for her.

I got the iPod disassembled, but the LCD screen came apart while trying to pry the glass shards off of it. So I know the screen is toast.

I'm considering ordering the full screen/digitizer replacement kit at ~$125. Before I do, however, I want to make sure I didn't do some irreparable damage while disassembling the iPod.

See the image below. I peeled the tape off this flex connector to get at some other connectors. The reason I thought this wouldn't be a problem is because of a photo from a teardown guide (see 2nd pic) in which they did the same thing.

But compare the two photos and give me your thoughts. Did I do lasting damage or will it still work after swapping a new screen in? (The bottom hole on the flex connector isn't actually torn as it might appear. I'm more concerned with where the tape was peeled off.)

SI4PMvScocmb5DBJ.huge

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Looks like the battery ribbon cable to me, some photos of the board would be helpful since I can't tell if the logic board was damaged.

Edit: Actually, is the other end of that cable still attached to your logic board? It looks like it should be from your photo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.